Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

Re: Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

This has been stated in other threads on this MD project but for those that ignore the facts.....pregnancy of captured and collared MD is close to 100%. This takes into account does carrying twins. MD can’t get any more pregnant than 100%, not that difficult to understand. Recruitment is not the issue. The issue is survival, period.

So, if you have 100% pregnancy rates and no doe season yet numbers continue to drop....regulations will not do a single thing to help bolster MD numbers THUS THE STUDY!

Why are MD does not surviving, that is the basic core question that will be answered with this study.

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

Try and be kind to everyone but fear no one. - Ourea

Quote Originally Posted by Ourea View Post
    This has been stated in other threads on this MD project but for those that ignore the facts.....pregnancy of captured and collared MD is close to 100%. This takes into account does carrying twins. MD can’t get any more pregnant than 100%, not that difficult to understand. Recruitment is not the issue. The issue is survival, period.

So, if you have 100% pregnancy rates and no doe season yet numbers continue to drop....regulations will not do a single thing to help bolster MD numbers THUS THE STUDY!

Why are MD does not surviving, that is the basic core question that will be answered with this study.
    would be interested in timing of fawn birth and weight going into winter. There is studies and jurisdictions that believe lower buck numbers contribute to later conception in turn creating weaker fawns going into winter. Study in the us done over the years on WT(yes not MD) found with increased buck ratios the health and average weight increased over the years.

There is reasons beyond pregnancy and hunter interest that a other jurisdictions manage for higher buck vs doe ratios. I am also aware that there are bios who disagree with this but there are those who contradict most management theories

I know this much I did notice more fawns bearing spots in early season in the past years. Not long after that reports of B.C. not making ratio goals were being heard.

Doubt it’s a main factor but have to wonder if it’s a contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HighCountryBC View Post
    10 in the Boundary and 10 in the Okanagan is the plan I believe.
    Also collaring cats in the Kookanusa area
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Guys that make point mistakes are just morons who shouldn’t be packing a riffle or even hunting. Those are the type who got to kill no matter what they make us tru sportsman look bad to all others. Manage for big bucks to keep pesky whitetail from chasing down slow mulie does. As with everything it’s always a people problem. I’ve never made a mistake and I never will. If I’m not sure I let it walk .. big deal it’s only a deer. Better that than be a F*****g idiot
    I agree the shooting of short bucks is a slob problem but it’s still an issue. But this is not the only issue with point restrictions. Like I said majority of North America abandoned the practice with deer and it goes beyond short deer. It is outdated inferior management

Hybrids are also rare WT don’t breed out MD. The only case that is an issue is MD breeding out BT where hybrids are common. Competition from WT with MD is over feed and mostly in wintering grounds. Elk are actually documented as the number one ungulate when it comes to out impacting MD numbers through competition

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I agree the shooting of short bucks is a slob problem but it’s still an issue. But this is not the only issue with point restrictions. Like I said majority of North America abandoned the practice with deer and it goes beyond short deer. It is outdated inferior management

Hybrids are also rare WT don’t breed out MD. The only case that is an issue is MD breeding out BT where hybrids are common. Competition from WT with MD is over feed and mostly in wintering grounds. Elk are actually documented as the number one ungulate when it comes to out impacting MD numbers through competition
    I suppose you may have a point. I have read research as to one way hybridization that is fairly compelling. More than likely both may be occurring at the same time. As usual their is always more than one piece to the story. One thing I think for certain is a shorter any buck for a few years . It would be good science at the very least to compare numbers after a few years time.

would be interested in timing of fawn birth and weight going into winter. There is studies and jurisdictions that believe lower buck numbers contribute to later conception in turn creating weaker fawns going into winter. Study in the us done over the years on WT(yes not MD) found with increased buck ratios the health and average weight increased over the years.

There is reasons beyond pregnancy and hunter interest that a other jurisdictions manage for higher buck vs doe ratios. I am also aware that there are bios who disagree with this but there are those who contradict most management theories

I know this much I did notice more fawns bearing spots in early season in the past years. Not long after that reports of B.C. not making ratio goals were being heard.

Doubt it’s a main factor but have to wonder if it’s a contributor

Necropsies performed on rd killed does revealed the vast majority of fawns were conceived the dates shouldering the 22nd of Nov.
    Granted, this was on WT but the data is very interesting

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards and forums. - F L Wright

An FYI, one of the does collared last week didn’t make it 24hrs.
    Cat got her hrs after release.

Necropsies performed on rd killed does revealed the vast majority of fawns were conceived the dates shouldering the 22nd of Nov.
    Granted, this was on WT but the data is very interesting
    I would bet the ratios on WT are not the same as MD either in BC.

Either way it is something I am curious about especially knowing BC’s MD ratios are lower than most states/provinces management goals by a fair bit.

I would bet the ratios on WT are not the same as MD either in BC.

Either way it is something I am curious about especially knowing BC’s MD ratios are lower than most states/provinces management goals by a fair bit.
    That is BC data

That is BC data
    yes but you said it was data collected from WT not MD or was that a typo?