Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

Re: Southern Interior Mule Deer Project Update

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I am keeping an open mind and waiting for the data and the conclusion reached before I lay judgement on this study. But the common trend with these studies is they start with a theory and often lean data collection towards proving that theory correct. Often many factors are forgotten or ignored and blanks filled in with educated opinions rather then facts

It would be nice to see things done in a non biases fashion and hope this is the case with this study. If the conclusion is one smoking gun that is blamed it will be a sure sign of BS or incomplete study
    Yup, I am also keeping an open mind.
    I suppose I am just thinking out loud about this study.
    I was taught that no matter what someone tells you, aske questions, lots of them!
    Something us in the older generation were taught but I do worry about the younger folks being brain washed.

Agree, there will not be "one smoking gun" to this issue and if so, I also call BS.

But again, before laying judgment, lets see what these folks manage to figure out and again, I give them credit for their time and am thankful
    that a study is happening here in BC rather than looking at Studies from the USA.

I think they are looking at several factors as issues from what I am reading between the lines.
    I think what we can do, is help support ACTION after the study is complete (if the conclusions make sense), to get the government to
    do something and take the proper steps, otherwise it's all for nothing.
    And Support and Forcing the governments hand is something these volunteers of this study cant do without us standing up behind them!

Proper Funding and a strong will to follow Initiative is what the government needs to be directed to do.
    Something they have forgotten for many years, no matter the party in power.

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    This whole thing is why a buy a puma tag each year . See one shoot one . 1 deer per week per cat do the math.
    When I was on the Island I bought a cat tag every year since seeing my first in the early 90’s.

I’ve seen 36 in total but was only fast enough to give 6 a dirt nap by way of my rifle. 1 got it on the Gold River highway too but he actually attacked me first. My dusty front tire looked like someone threw a soccer ball at it. He may have made it but the boat trailer got him too.😀

There was a study out of University of Calgary on cougars. Found females almost exclusive target mule deer while males target large ungulates like moose and elk.

I believe new cougar study is starting this winter. There was a presentation on it at my club but I couldn’t make it.
    Can anyone expand on it?
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    I believe new cougar study is starting this winter. There was a presentation on it at my club but I couldn’t make it.
    Can anyone expand on it?
    They also presented to our hound club. Shoot me a PM with your email and I can send you the info.
    You can take the man out of the wilderness but you cant take the wilderness out of the man.

Anecdotally.. spoke with a local I ran into in the bush in 8-14 this past October. He said 15 cats had been taken out of the area we were both hunting. Nine by the G/O and six by locals.

Quote Originally Posted by longwalk View Post
    Anecdotally.. spoke with a local I ran into in the bush in 8-14 this past October. He said 15 cats had been taken out of the area we were both hunting. Nine by the G/O and six by locals.
    yes the cats can concentrate in certain ungulant areas during the winter months , which tells you nothing about the true cat population for the rest of the year.
    I can tell ya, but you know I' ll be lying to you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Can anyone expand on it?
    That should add so valuable info to the MD study.

Good to hear

I would love to tell all of you about all the mule deer that I saw the past 2 years. Sadly, the numbers were so low and the herd sizes so small that you would all be disappointed.

The largest herd I saw was on Agate Bay road in a farm field during October. Approx. 32 does. I almost shit my pants.

I get around and I spend much time in mule deer country. I just don't see very many anymore. I certainly do not see any deer highways pounded into the snow anymore. And I dont see much deer poop. This is by far the worst year for seeing deer tracks in the snow.

This spring I plan to hit all the winter ranges in my area and see whats up. (Gang, williams Lake, Cache Creek, Clinton, Lillooet, Kamloops...........)

WHAT I DO NOT SEE IS ROAD KILL MULE DEER OR MANY DEER ALONG HIGHWAYS AT NIGHT ANYMORE. THIS ALONE TELLS ME THAT THE MULE DEER ARE GONE.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-11-2019 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Would be nice to have had a few cougar collared in the area as a study to add data to the MD study. The factor I mentioned earlier in the thread with wolves pushing cats of kills might be part of the issue. We all no wolves have increased over the years but have cougars?

Either way definitely sounds like a predator issue is at play
    There will be 20 collared cats in the study areas.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."