FYI. Odds for the Jan to feb hunt were 21:1

Re: Elk in Region 5

Quote Originally Posted by Elkscape View Post
    FYI. Odds for the Jan to feb hunt were 21:1
    Sent you a PM

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp mule View Post
    Sent you a PM
    aweome. Looking forward to talking to you.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Let me address one more topic and I will retire from this thread.

During the 2017 fires I was on the front lines trying to make a difference with the various crews. The loudest complaints about the actions taken by the crews,or the percived inaction, came from which group??? You guessed it. The ranchers.

Whine whine whine complain compain complain blame blame blame

The nail in the coffin for me was when one of the ranchers rubbed his hands together with glee at thought of all the new grass that will regrow so that his cattle could FREELOAD on crown land. Oh and the miles of brand new range fence erected on crown land.
    Wow if live inan area in region three that has some elki know almost every cattle rancher in my area.. we keep them hush and protect them.. i only know one crusty old ******* that doesnt like them but he hates moose even more.
    Twkemlups band has put a $15000 dollar fine on anybody killing them... and the head harvest will react instantly to any elk killing ( not bad for a guzzler as one said) in addition historicly ranchers are bad for elk.. funniest thing i seen was farmers in region 8 bitching about fence damage. I was the sherpa and tracker for two draw holders at the same time and when two magnums went off at the same time on a herd of 250 plus elk not a fence survived for a 4km radius lol... i could here fences popping for an hour after the guns went off.

Moose break my fences every spring it takes me a hour to fix them and cost me less than 100 buck.. i know have a pocket of moose living on my land the moose seem to like to cross the same spots so i did them a favour and switched over to smooth wire there and my fences break 1\10 as often. Oh i sell beef constantly that i raise my self weird i love elk..

Foresty has made a lot of mistakes with some of the fires the last couple years and as others have said the farmers are on the front line of every lightning strike.

And a little burn sure is good for the ungulates.. we did are own experiment on my freinds range there was a fence running down the middle.. we ranged one side super heavy and had no cattle on the the other.. the one side the grass and such grew real tall and dried out making it protein low. The side we heavy grazed after the oct rains held tonnes of young grass that was fertilized with phosphates from the cow shit.. guess where the deer staged up for the rut and decided to winter..in first bite grass not the bleached dead stuff. Many times with whitetails i have had to wait for the cattle to move or the deer to move to shoot.