Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Elk in Region 5

Re: Elk in Region 5

The twists and turns some of these threads take.

Getting back to the original post, my family has a small ranch in 5-14. There has been a small heard of elk there for years. It doesn’t roam too far but comes and goes from a couple of the ranches and crown land around them.

I lived in Quesnel for years and have seen the herd out at the old ferry landing on the Quesnel river many times, especially late fall and the winter. They are around and have been around the area a long time.

To the best of my knowledge most ranchers do not mind having the elk around, kind of like the uniqueness of them. To the comment above about cattle not being natural to BC. Reality is a lot of our large game animals are not natural to BC or at least to large portions of B.C. that they currently are found. The moose is a relatively new resident to large portions of BC, only arriving in the 1900’s. White tail deer are taking over large portions of mule deer habitat, and these small herds of elk that are popping up in regions 5 and 6 are in areas that never had elk 15-20 years ago. The landscapes have changed and will continue to change and species will move and adapt to survive in the changing landscape. Hopefully we can manage for that as best possible so that at least there is something there to allow us to continue to enjoy our hunting opportunities that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperAurum View Post
    Would you sing the same song if a proposal was put forth to transplant elk into the region? Now that they are all but gone in BC, perhaps we can get some from the prairies or the US of A.

I recall as a young lad watching as the men caught, bagged, and tagged live elk to be taken to other locations for repopulation. At the time I did not understand it very well but I loved elk and knew that it was a great thing despite my young age. I would have never dreamed that good ole cow farmers would start killing them and lobbying to get rid of them and have the political clout to keep them out.
    If you knew any of the history of the elk in Region 5 you’d know there’s always been a few isolated populations that were left over from the herds that were here in the past and died off.
    Years ago a biologist that’s now long deceased figured that the elk here were not reproducing due to inbreeding.
    About 25 years ago new genetics rolled in....these new elk were obviously different than the old scrubby horned strain.
    The bulls were the same as you see on the hiway driving thru Jasper....or maybe Elk Island.
    Government says they walked here....rumours say they came by truck.
    No matter....they’re here.
    This parasitic rancher enjoys seeing them here now that they’ve learned to spread out instead of the 125+ that just camped on his hayfields.

Ranchers are parasitic and are always on the lookout for handouts and action for their concerns. Poor me i need a fence. Poor me my hay is being eaten. Poor poor me.....

it disgusts me that cowfolk hold so much influence over elk in this province.
    pretty clear you weren’t raised or live in the country. Ranchers and farmers are the backbone of rural life and frequently assist wildlife ( at there cost generally) making it through tough winters . Not lost in the conversation are countless hunters that request permission to hunt their lands. Judging by your insidious comments you are better suited to a condo in a large Center. Perhaps you should find a rock in your local park and crawl back under it

Let me address one more topic and I will retire from this thread.

During the 2017 fires I was on the front lines trying to make a difference with the various crews. The loudest complaints about the actions taken by the crews,or the percived inaction, came from which group??? You guessed it. The ranchers.

Whine whine whine complain compain complain blame blame blame

The nail in the coffin for me was when one of the ranchers rubbed his hands together with glee at thought of all the new grass that will regrow so that his cattle could FREELOAD on crown land. Oh and the miles of brand new range fence erected on crown land.

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    pretty clear you weren’t raised or live in the country. Ranchers and farmers are the backbone of rural life and frequently assist wildlife ( at there cost generally) making it through tough winters . Not lost in the conversation are countless hunters that request permission to hunt their lands. Judging by your insidious comments you are better suited to a condo in a large Center. Perhaps you should find a rock in your local park and crawl back under it
    I was thinking of taking up illegal guiding on the Muskwa/Tuchodi. I hear there is an opening available now that the boat driver and megalomaniac are no longer a team up there.
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-16-2019 at 11:25 PM.

hahaha. That’s the best you have! Back to your rock

Let me address one more topic and I will retire from this thread.

During the 2017 fires I was on the front lines trying to make a difference with the various crews. The loudest complaints about the actions taken by the crews,or the percived inaction, came from which group??? You guessed it. The ranchers.

Whine whine whine complain compain complain blame blame blame

The nail in the coffin for me was when one of the ranchers rubbed his hands together with glee at thought of all the new grass that will regrow so that his cattle could FREELOAD on crown land. Oh and the miles of brand new range fence erected on crown land.
    A lot of ranchers would have burnt out and lost what they owned if they had not stayed behind and fought fires.....even tho they had been ordered to evacuate the fire zones.
    Some did burn out.
    You aren’t the only one that was on the front lines......but that was your choice....you were getting paid for what you did.
    Like Deaddog said....crawl back under your rock.

I was thinking of taking up illegal guiding on the Muskwa/Tuchodi. I hear there is an opening available now that the boat driver and megalomaniac are no longer a team up there.
    I’ll be up there for the full month of sept this year with family and friends, just like I have for near 20 years. If you have the boat skills to get that far, stop by at Deaddog creek and maybe I can give you some pointers, unfortunately for you it means hiking further than the river bank , so the pointers won’t likely help you
    Last edited by Deaddog; 12-17-2019 at 06:50 AM.

It is not difficult to navigate to Deaddog Creek. I usually go further so yes, I could stop in to drink your whiskey. Tell me, Will these be new hunting "friends" that have not yet grown tired of you and your megalomaniacal antics?
    Last edited by SemperAurum; 12-17-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Jesus Christ how old are you guys?