Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Elk in Region 5

Re: Elk in Region 5

I despise ranchers in BC that are against elk. I despise the BC cattle Association for lobbying against elk. I think it is wrong that they are able to string miles and miles of fence and let their cattle freeload on crown land.

Thank you Salix !You answered my question.Over and out!

Quote Originally Posted by bearvalley View Post
    If you knew any of the history of the elk in Region 5 you’d know there’s always been a few isolated populations that were left over from the herds that were here in the past and died off.
    Years ago a biologist that’s now long deceased figured that the elk here were not reproducing due to inbreeding.
    About 25 years ago new genetics rolled in....these new elk were obviously different than the old scrubby horned strain.
    The bulls were the same as you see on the hiway driving thru Jasper....or maybe Elk Island.
    Government says they walked here....rumours say they came by truck.
    No matter....they’re here.
    This parasitic rancher enjoys seeing them here now that they’ve learned to spread out instead of the 125+ that just camped on his hayfields.
    The Skelton Valley elk herd was a remnant from the days of days gone by. Skelton Valley is east of McCleese Lake. To my knowledge and as told to me by Harold Mitchell, the biologist that BV is referring to, the Skelton Valley elk herd were the only remaining descendants of the elk that once roamed the interior plateau. I did see a picture taken of one at Andy Halverson's Quesnel Lake Resort sometime around 1983 or 84
    Chilco Choate discovered some remanent fossilized antler bone in his guiding area. He thought it was from an elk and took it to Harold Mitchell, Region 5 Wildlife biologist in Williams Lake. Harold sent the sample away for carbon dating and confirmation (pre-DNA days). Whoever tested it confirmed that it was elk and carbon dated it to late 1700's or early 1800's.
    (It was hypothesized that the immense volcanic eruptions of Mount Tambora that occurred in 1815 put so much debris into the atmosphere that it created two years with no summer. Mitchell believed that this event was cause of the immediate demise of the central interior elk.)
    Chilco and Harold were ecstatic with the results. Harold contacted Ray Demarchi, his counterpart in Region 4 about the ever increasing elk herd there and the possibility of some for transplant purposes. They came to some kind of understanding and the wheels were set in motion. All that was needed were the approval of the ministry and certain assurances for the ranchers that should there be a conflict with elk, contingency plans were in place to deal with the matter. The letter writing began.
    About this time, some elk from Region 4 were relocated to Region 3 in the Lytton area.
    Harold along with Marty Beets developed a comprehensive plan to cover the anticipated transplant. Fish and Game Clubs were enlisted to build elk proof panels to be supplied to the ranchers on a free basis when the day came.
    Many letters were written in support of the transplant, actually 143 favoring the move in total with 7 in opposition. Looked like a done deal until the writers of the 7 letters contacted the MLA, Alex Fraser, and somehow convinced him to intercede and about the transplant. The seven dissenters were seven ranchers ( originally from Wyoming and Montana, who claimed that their sheep suffered immensely from elk which broke them and forced them to come to BC to take up land where there were no buffalo or elk.)
    Some will ask, "How do you know this?" Let's just say I had an inside track.

I cut this article from the Vancouver Sun from Dec. 31, 1983.

Copy of article in Vancouver Sun by Mia Farrow. The article refers to Daryl Hebert, but Harold Mitchell was the driving force along with Chilco Choate. Harold's untimely death due to helicopter crash delayed action for a year or two. Daryl Hebert was Harold Mitchell's successor.

Funny things happen. Elk did start showing up around the Cariboo Region. Elk appeared to the south of the Gang Ranch, elk showed up to the north of Milburn Mountain just west of Quesnel. Of course the ranchers started caterwauling that the elk were illegally transported to the area of the Gang Ranch. BV alludes to new genetics and that might be quite true. Maybe Alsager brought some elk when he illegally transported some bison from Alberta to the Gang Ranch. Who knows? Also, the Cariboo was devoid of whitetail deer when I moved to Quesnel in 1972, and there were no elk at Hixon either. So they do move.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

That’s for sharing some history on the interior elk. I knew they did exist in the central interior at one time in history, just never knew how they disappeared.

The first elk I saw was around the Quesnel area was a small group in a clear cut off Slender lake (Stony lake area) back in 1986 while fishing with my dad. Began to see more elk while hunting grizzly bear in the Hagen river system in the early and mid 90’s

I will share a few pictures, if I can find them, of two six point bulls that were locked together and later died. One was massive and likely the herd bull and the lesser bull was probably his offspring. Both were identical sets of antlers besides the mass.

My wife has been very lucky and drawn the private land leh bull elk tag for 5-02 jan 15 to feb 14

We are looking for any info that may help us plan this trip we need to secure some land owner permissions to make this happen. Weve reached out to the local biologists and the quesnel cattlemans association so far.

please reach out of you can help

thanks in advance

Seen them on the way to Quesnel Lake years back!
    I like drinking beer and whiskey, shooting guns, jetboating, love a nice rack and a tight line, I am simply a sophisticated redneck...

Hmm personally seen elk 100 mile house.and just south, Horsefly, Mcleese lake, Hixon, Moorehead lake area, Wolverine LK valley.
    most seen was 30 is 3 years ago Sept.
    Nothing would surprise me about Dale Alsager".. nothing.
    Srupp

Central Interior of our beautiful british columbia.

5-14 along the Fraser, there is a healthy herd of Bugling *******s. Springfield ranch land!! Moosin
    "A good day hunting is mud on your truck or blood on your hands"

“Some people go to church and think about hunting……………others go hunting and think about God!”

It's actually called the 375 "ouch and ouch"!!

"Not asking for any spots or anything like that............................................"

Hmm buddy owns ranch on east side of Springfield ranch.
    srupp

My only regret was forgetting to apply. Best of luck to all