Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Elk in Region 5

Re: Elk in Region 5

harry is right a 6 point season might save more than it kills by dummying them up.

I picked up a very old elk shed in the gang ranch area years go.

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    harry is right a 6 point season might save more than it kills by dummying them up.
    I think they should do the same in reg 3 too....I have heard that the natives have shot quite a few in the Merritt area, I can't say first hand however, how much truth there is to this...

Don’t have to go to Merritt, they’re around Crystal Lake as well. For a while, anyway...

If you connect the dots on locations where elk have recently moved into it paints a nice picture in BC. In region 6 we have seen the elk firmly established with some limited private land LEH, hopefully the increase continues and we get a 6pt GOS eventually. I better learn how to bugle...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I think they should do the same in reg 3 too....I have heard that the natives have shot quite a few in the Merritt area, I can't say first hand however, how much truth there is to this...
    Region 3,5 and 6 should have matching 20 or so day 6 point seasons to smarten them up. I've walked up them like cattle in region 3 they had no fear.
    Last edited by 250 sav; 12-14-2019 at 07:55 PM.

old Elk sheds have been found in Lac Des Roches

Seen a FEW Elk over my 16 years at Bridge Lake and Area - Spring and late Fall they are ALL Transient ELK - RJ

Quote Originally Posted by 300rum700 View Post
    I've heard 2020/2021 but at this point it's just a rumour from the BCWF so I'll believe it when I see it. I've also heard the government is scared to see what the Indians will do to the hard once there's an leh and haven't put a draw out for that reason.
    There’s a proposed regulation change on the table for an LEH season on private land from mid November until the middle of February.
    For both bulls and cows.
    This also will open Region 5 elk legally to FN’s anywhere in Region 5.
    So far....legally....FN’s have only been allowed to take elk in Region 5 that are homesteaded or habituated to living on hay fields or in feed yards.
    Legally they can only shoot if the problem elk are identified to FLNROD staff who then contact a shooter and the meat is to go to the local band.
    That’s what was to legally be done in Region 5.....that program has been disregarded.
    Watch the slaughter start when the season opens....any elk will be open to any FN’s hunter within their traditional territory.
    We’ll see how this plays out...my bet is it won’t be good for the elk.

Years and years ago we set up a Rocky Mountain Elk chapter in 100 Mile ...Lots of turnout ..Everyone was on board for an elk relocation program in region 5...The ministry was on board ...Hunters were on board ...but the Cattlemens Association was not ...This threw a Ky bosh into the whole program ..Our relocation never happened ...All I have from this era is a hat from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation ...Me thinks when the season opens any ranchers will look to have the elk shot off ..They are very strongly against elk in the Cariboo...Hopefully the elk can survive this opening ...I doubt it but Ive been wrong before....Dennis