Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bc hunting regs “ illuminating devices”

Re: Bc hunting regs “ illuminating devices”

Quote Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
    The ones that good are $10,000

I tried a $4000 thermal and it would never work to hunt with. Takes too long to warm up, and the refresh rate is too fast.
    Trouble is tech generally gets cheap and better fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    Trouble is tech generally gets cheap and better fast.
    I hunted with a guy in NZ that used a thermal imager. It was unbelievable for spotting game. You could see stuff very clearly at better than a kilometre including being able to count points on a deer and seeing god dang rabbits and pigs in the brush.

Quote Originally Posted by butcher View Post
    I hunted with a guy in NZ that used a thermal imager. It was unbelievable for spotting game. You could see stuff very clearly at better than a kilometre including being able to count points on a deer and seeing god dang rabbits and pigs in the brush.
    really ? 1000 meters eh ?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

I've got one of those seek thermal XR units that plug into the bottom of an IPhone/IPad. Sure, over 100 yards you'll be able to see a spot, but good luck trying to figure out what it is.

Here's a person at 130yds (the person is that stick just above center between two cars)

Last edited by wifigary; 12-10-2019 at 03:54 PM. Reason: add pic

I have said snap on thermal camera for my automotive work purposes. Out of curiosity I’ve taken it out while walking the dog. Sure it’s neat to see the heat signature of his prints for a second before they vanish. You’d be able to detect a dog to about 40 meters but not identify what it is. I do not believe you’d be able to detect a deer at much more than 50-60meters. Certainly not identify what it was, you’d just have a couple pixels worth.

this is on clear open view. I can’t see him 5 ft away in tall grass or 25 meters away in average density forest vegetation.

not no mention as someone what owns a shit ton of snap on equipment... you can buy better stuff made in China off eBay for 1/10th the cost. Not even kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    really ? 1000 meters eh ?
    He claimed it would pick up heat at 3 km on a cold night. I have no way of knowing that for a fact But 1 km was not an issue.

Get the model of his imager and let us know if you are still in contact with him. I would like to see how much his costs. Sure it's not legal to hunt with it but finding a deer you shoot with this imager would be great. I was hunting with a crossbow. Got the bolt into the vitals, the deer was walking away limping going uphill. I decided to walk around to push it down instead so that I would have less distance to carry, it was the end of the day, started snowing and was getting dark. While walking around I lost sight of it, when I was above from where it last was - I started looking and couldn't find it. I searched for an hour through the whole area till it got really dark. Wind and snow only increased and I had to be back home by 11 pm to take over watching my baby for my wife to go on her night shift and that's with 500 km to drive. Couldn't search anymore and had to go - took me three days to track where that deer and after shooting it and not getting a miss, I wasn't able to find it. Got in the blizzard on the way back, my truck was the only one driving that night on the highway - didn't see any other cars, didn't get back home on time either.
    Would I have wanted a thermal imager that works - sure. I am sure I would not have lost that deer that night. I still feed bad for not being able to find it and want a thermal imager that actually works and doesn't cost over a $1000. So if you can get the model of what your friend had - I would love to see how much it costs.

He claimed it would pick up heat at 3 km on a cold night. I have no way of knowing that for a fact But 1 km was not an issue.
    The way I read it, is as YOU said points could be counted at 1k....?
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Ya, no sorry, my bad. You could definitely tell species. Points I couldn’t say. But you could clearly see antlers in the dark. They give off much more heat than I would have thought.

latest reg proposal:
    https://apps.nrs.gov.bc.ca/ahte/content/infrared-optics

Current Regulations:
    Section 26(1)(e) of the Wildlife Act states: A person commits an offence if the person hunts, takes, traps, wounds or kills wildlife by the use or with the aid of a light or illuminating device.

Proposed Regulations:
    Section 26(1)(e) doesn’t specify what an “illuminating device” is, and for greater certainty and clarity, an additional provision that prohibits the use of infrared optics (or thermal imaging) for the purpose of hunting is being proposed.

Rationale:
    This proposed regulation has been requested by the Provincial Hunting and Trapping Advisory Team. For more information on the process that led to the request refer to the “Additional Information” section at the bottom of this page.
    Infrared optics, including but not limited to, binoculars and scopes for firearms/bows, allow a person to see the heat signature of a living organism, a signature that is not visible to the naked eye. The use of infrared optics is not considered to be in line with provincial hunting principles and are proposed to be unlawful for the purpose of hunting.