Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feel lot Safer With Electric Fence Around My Camp

Re: Feel lot Safer With Electric Fence Around My Camp

Where did you buy your setup Wayne?
    Everywhere I look the price is higher.
    Did it come with the battery and a charger?
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Where did you buy your setup Wayne?
    Everywhere I look the price is higher.
    Did it come with the battery and a charger?
    I got 95% of my setup here in cranbrook at top crop,,the fence line 1000 feet for the price of 60 bucks the insulators that go on the fence or tree 7 bucks for a bag of 25..
    The controller and insulated handles from Amazon the controller was 130.00 bucks the insulator 6 handles where 4 bucks each..

The two 12 volt batt out of my boat I have I use a deep cell batt good for recharging when the sun is out I use a solar panel to recharge the battery every day.

The controller going 24 hours a day runs the batt down 2 volts a fully charge 12 volt truck or car batt is 12.80 volts..I have a set up negative and positive wires
    coming from my truck battery to inside my cab of the truck passengers side,,look at one of the pictures on this tread and you can see the solar panel I purchased
    from CT store.
    I did not include the solar panel with the cost for the fence because I use the panel for many other things to charge up ,,the solar panel cost me 200.00 bucks puts
    out 2 volts in the direct sun cloudy conditions .5 volts

When I go out for a hunt I can put one batt from the two I have inside my passengers floor boards the two alligator clips make for a fas connection when I take the
    two leads off I clip the two part of the underneath dash board so won't touch each other and they are out of the way for the passenger sitting in the truck..

I leave the two wires coming from my main batt hooked up all the time there not a bother because they are out of the way,,the bottom fence line is 12 inches off the
    ground the second line is 2 feet up off the ground the third fence line is at 4 feet off the ground just as the picture shows,,the CO came into my camp to check on
    us..
    The first thing he said this sure is a good idea the real to wind in the fence line I made up I put one 3 inch screw top and bottom of the 2x4 secure it to a tree wind in
    just like a downrigger spoil,,picture shows all on what this unit looks like.
    Last edited by hunter1947; 12-08-2019 at 04:46 AM.
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggdon View Post
    I've often wondered if there was a way to rig a smoke detector to a tripwire, wake you up when an animal comes into camp at night.
    I bought a sensor light in Victoria at costco store when I was in victoria for a month this year cost 50 bucks comes with 3AA battery the package includes a 8x6 solar panel you
    can put onto a tree or make a stand up from a 2x4x8 standing up on a 2x2 piece of 1/2 or 3/4 inch plywood.

The mounting plate for the sensor light when you fasten it to the holding pole you can take it of the mounting plat for quick detachment ,,the light has 3 different swivel lights that
    can angel 180 degree angle.

All and all long story short is when you have the the 2x4x8 you can move the light anywhere you want to..I put the light angled to my side of the camper or angled in front of the
    wall tent do whatever suits you..

Picture shows all the wire that is attached to the solar panel is 15 feet long so you can move it away from you solar light if needed so sun can get at the solar panel..

I made up a aluminum plate that I can secure to the solar panel makes for a quick release when you want to take the panel off of whatever you have it attached to just like
    the sensor light quick release ,,any animals get through my electric fence and then comes into the sensor light range the sensor light lights up the whole camp and you can
    see what's out there instead of trying to fumble for the flashlight and rifle ,shotgun in the dark.

This sensor light has short med or long distance setting on it I set mine on long distance the sensor light has LED lights ,,one more thing is you need a good ground rod to
    put into the ground I bought a galvanized 1/2 rod 8 feet long at a electrical supplier cost me 14 bucks..

I then cut it into 3 pieces I wield a heavy flat washer on top of each 3 pieces of ground rod this makes it easy no slipping when I put my winch cable hook under the washer
    to pull the rod out of the ground only used one of the 3 pieces to drive into the ground for to go from the controller to the ground rod..

I leave the top of the ground rod 4 inches up from the bottom of the ground so if I want to pull it up to take it out to use elsewhere,,,I did a video of my setup will try to find
    this clip and post the link up on this thread..

.................................................. ..............
    Last edited by hunter1947; 12-08-2019 at 05:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    I got 95% of my setup here in cranbrook at top crop,,the fence line 1000 feet for the price of 60 bucks the insulators that go on the fence or tree 7 bucks for a bag of 25..
    The controller and insulated handles from Amazon the controller was 130.00 bucks the insulator 6 handles where 4 bucks each..

The two 12 volt batt out of my boat I have I use a deep cell batt good for recharging when the sun is out I use a solar panel to recharge the battery every day.

The controller going 24 hours a day runs the batt down 2 volts a fully charge 12 volt truck or car batt is 12.80 volts..I have a set up negative and positive wires
    coming from my truck battery to inside my cab of the truck passengers side,,look at one of the pictures on this tread and you can see the solar panel I purchased
    from CT store.
    I did not include the solar panel with the cost for the fence because I use the panel for many other things to charge up ,,the solar panel cost me 200.00 bucks puts
    out 2 volts in the direct sun cloudy conditions .5 volts

When I go out for a hunt I can put one batt from the two I have inside my passengers floor boards the two alligator clips make for a fas connection when I take the
    two leads off I clip the two part of the underneath dash board so won't touch each other and they are out of the way for the passenger sitting in the truck..

I leave the two wires coming from my main batt hooked up all the time there not a bother because they are out of the way,,the bottom fence line is 12 inches off the
    ground the second line is 2 feet up off the ground the third fence line is at 4 feet off the ground just as the picture shows,,the CO came into my camp to check on
    us..
    The first thing he said this sure is a good idea the real to wind in the fence line I made up I put one 3 inch screw top and bottom of the 2x4 secure it to a tree wind in
    just like a downrigger spoil,,picture shows all on what this unit looks like.
    Thanks for the good info Wayne!
    WLM
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it. - Clint Eastwood
    "Lots of critters to still shoot. And there'll be no quitters until we bag some critters" - 180grainer
    "Politicians should wear sponsor jackets like Nascar drivers, then we know who owns them" - Robin Williams

Flush the Turd!

Located and residing on the unceded territory of European Settler's traditional land.
    Click here to learn more 🖕

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    Thanks for the good info Wayne!

You HBC members glad I can share
    Last edited by hunter1947; 12-09-2019 at 03:44 AM.

For goodness sakes, please be careful when you go out at night to take a leak.

Hunter 1947 I had been thinking of something like this when tenting . Very good deterrent ! Also shorty shotgun in the tent
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I use a UDAP electric fence. only weighs 3.7 lbs and is powered by 2 "D" cell batteries. Claims batteries will last 5 weeks. Bought it on Ebay for about $130.00, (used) There are a number of U-tube videos on line. Set up time is short, unless your on real rocky ground and getting the post set can be a problem. Worth a Google look.

Paranoid hunters or what.I understand your concerns.I had a bear knock my tent down and step on me at night in coal black can't see your hand in front of your face conditions.Talk about scary or what but still don't even think about a bloody fence around my camp.Over the years I've encounter bears in some very awkward situations.Campsites are the worst but BC is a wild place,I like it that way and I will take my chances thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    Paranoid hunters or what.I understand your concerns.I had a bear knock my tent down and step on me at night in coal black can't see your hand in front of your face conditions.Talk about scary or what but still don't even think about a bloody fence around my camp.Over the years I've encounter bears in some very awkward situations.Campsites are the worst but BC is a wild place,I like it that way and I will take my chances thank you.

Your welcome