Thread: Grouse In My Hunting Camp

Grouse In My Hunting Camp

I don't shoot grouse in my hunting camp I have had a female grouse I call Alma she has been in my camp now for 3 years she keeps on laying eggs every year to
    increase the Grouse population....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0FQNqXQhQc
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Grouse In My Hunting Camp

I had to look it up, but they say a grouse can live as long as 11 years, but normal life expectancy is 8. I wonder how long a hen can actually lay eggs for? Any chickens we have had usually peter out after 2 to 3 years.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    I had to look it up, but they say a grouse can live as long as 11 years, but normal life expectancy is 8. I wonder how long a hen can actually lay eggs for? Any chickens we have had usually peter out after 2 to 3 years.
    The chickens are laying daily-ish though, I wonder if grouse could reproduce for longer since it's an annual event.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

I hardly ever kill grouse anymore. They just are not as prevalent as they once were. I wonder if the wild turkeys aren't just outcompeting them for habitat. Walking around, I see at least twenty turkeys for each grouse. GD

Alma was sitting on 8 eggs 40 feet in the bushed from where I camp..

Nice to have pets in camp.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDog View Post
    I hardly ever kill grouse anymore. They just are not as prevalent as they once were. I wonder if the wild turkeys aren't just outcompeting them for habitat. Walking around, I see at least twenty turkeys for each grouse. GD
    Lots of grouse in our area this year, bagged several myself, good eats.
    caddisguy "I worry about predators wanting to eat me or bucks trying to take my manhood. "How was your hunting trip honey" ... "wahh I don't want to talk about it... sob ""

Quote Originally Posted by Buckmeister View Post
    Lots of grouse in our area this year, bagged several myself, good eats.
    Yes Buckmeister you have this correct a few grouse in the pan are as tasty as you can get for a game bird..

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    Nice to have pets in camp.

The only pets i don't like are grizzlies I put up a electric fend around my entire hunting camp this year to keep out the unwanted ..