Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preadator tactics along with hide care and sale

Re: Preadator tactics along with hide care and sale

Its been a long time since I had something "mounted" and have to say I had a little sticker shock when I heard what it was going to cost to
    do my friends bear (aint going to happen but I understand taxidermists needing to make a living).

Is it expensive to have tanned only (hair on!!!....fool years ago gave me back an elk hide I took in with "no hair" and that was one piece of expensive leather in the end!!!!)

Just curious what a wolf, coyote, or cat costs if I let someone else do it and not going the mount route?
    (Cant see myself stringing and stretching a hide in a Strata complex in the city)

Quote Originally Posted by Bugle M In View Post

Just curious what a wolf, coyote, or cat costs if I let someone else do it and not going the mount route?
    (Cant see myself stringing and stretching a hide in a Strata complex in the city)
    Paid 120-130 to do a large coyote. This included fleshing and removing paws. For the price it’s a great addition to the living room/man cave.

Have seen slightly cheaper at larger tanneries.

It gets pricey tho once you realize what else you can tan. Currently have a stone hind and a full goat gettin done haha.
    Last edited by Kopper; 12-06-2019 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    If you plan on selling hides you better get the tools prepare hides

For Wolf I would talk to a taxidermist it will be a much easier process

For coyote you will be skinning, fleashing, drying, and stretching to auction specs. NAFA is having issues so look into fur harvesters auction house. You will need auction spec boards for stretching, a fleasher, and a fleshing beam. Research how they are to be case skinned, how to cut inspection window, pinning, and how to turn a hide fur out(auction spec for coyotes) during the drying process

remember big holes mean more sowing and deductions. All blood needs to be cleaned off the hide too
    Thanks .. I’m ok in that department I have all 3 size boards wire stretchers fleshing beam ect dad will give me a crash course I wasn’t allowed to skin when I was a kid especially beaver they were the most priced back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Thanks .. I’m ok in that department I have all 3 size boards wire stretchers fleshing beam ect dad will give me a crash course I wasn’t allowed to skin when I was a kid especially beaver they were the most priced back in the day.
    Oh you are definitely going way back if you are getting top $ on beaver lol

Wire stretchers have been abandoned and will likely get you deducted do to damage to the hide along the edge. Not many use solid boards for coyotes anymore but instead use an adjustable split board. The split board does all and no belly wedge needed. Might be a good idea to still do so research on auction stretching specs because things have changed over the years.

Odds are your Dad still has some good tricks just make sure you are up to date because things have changed is all

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Oh you are definitely going way back if you are getting top $ on beaver lol

Wire stretchers have been abandoned and will likely get you deducted do to damage to the hide along the edge. Not many use solid boards for coyotes anymore but instead use an adjustable split board. The split board does all and no belly wedge needed. Might be a good idea to still do so research on auction stretching specs because things have changed over the years.

Odds are your Dad still has some good tricks just make sure you are up to date because things have changed is all

Good luck
    yeah waaay back like in 77 they had greenstone and north south Thompson river as well for problem animals. Guess I’ll have to get up to speed . Might have to make a few of those split boards. Thanks for the info much appreciated