Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preadator tactics along with hide care and sale

Preadator tactics along with hide care and sale

I wanted to start this thread as a how to kind of deal for hunting preds and how to skin and preserve and sell hides. Deer and moose are no problem for me but I’m a novice predator hunter. So let the information flow. Hopefully everyone filled their freezers this year. Looking forward to next season.... but meanwhile let’s knock over some vermin.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Preadator tactics along with hide care and sale

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    I wanted to start this thread as a how to kind of deal for hunting preds and how to skin and preserve and sell hides. Deer and moose are no problem for me but I’m a novice predator hunter. So let the information flow. Hopefully everyone filled their freezers this year. Looking forward to next season.... but meanwhile let’s knock over some vermin.
    I’m shooting a weatherby 223 with 60 gr btsp I’ve got 200 rounds loaded up love them but any thought on sst loads for dogs? I shoot nothing but for big game. A little explosive but they sure kill fast.

dude i dont care what load you hit a dog with..most accurate is key...do you plan on being invested in it or just random trips?

Quote Originally Posted by walks with deer View Post
    dude i dont care what load you hit a dog with..most accurate is key...do you plan on being invested in it or just random trips?
    I’m dialed in to 400 yards with bdc redicle 1 Moa at 200 no problem. I’m not quite hard core yet time is an issue. Probably be a weekends deal for me as time allows. I trapped plenty with my dad and grandfather so skinning and tanning I can do. But my knowledge of calls sucks how and when kind of thing

I really like 50 grain v-max from a 22 Center fire. Lots of info out there on set up and calling. Mostly good, some bad, a few really weird. Best to get out there and try, make some mistakes and learn your lessons. Good luck.

If the wolf is running,sitting,pooping or howling always take a shot. Doesn’t matter where you hit it. The rest of the wolf pack will do the job and kill the injured.

I’ve got a hand held caller does deer fawn a few rabbits crow wounded pup ect dying fawn call produced a few dogs for me last year. I’m thinking about a remote control caller with more options and better quality any suggestions?

If you use a remote caller you can get the call away from you so you aren't spotted.That helps a lot.If you get something to come in be ready for multiple shots and keep your caller going.Sometimes the critters don't understand what is happening and you can get off another shot.
    Twice I have nailed two coyotes in one shot by waiting for the opprotunity.
    Always play the wind in your favour.If you can set up with an open area you can watch down wind you will find a shot or two from a critter that circles.
    Another thing that can help is to hang a couple of feathers on a string near your call so the breeze moves them around.Watchful eyes will key in on the feathers instead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    If you use a remote caller you can get the call away from you so you aren't spotted.That helps a lot.If you get something to come in be ready for multiple shots and keep your caller going.Sometimes the critters don't understand what is happening and you can get off another shot.
    Twice I have nailed two coyotes in one shot by waiting for the opprotunity.
    Always play the wind in your favour.If you can set up with an open area you can watch down wind you will find a shot or two from a critter that circles.
    Another thing that can help is to hang a couple of feathers on a string near your call so the breeze moves them around.Watchful eyes will key in on the feathers instead of you.
    I’m looking at fox pro but holly are they pricey!! Still looking at some mid price models I’ll figure it out at some point.

If you plan on selling hides you better get the tools prepare hides

For Wolf I would talk to a taxidermist it will be a much easier process

For coyote you will be skinning, fleashing, drying, and stretching to auction specs. NAFA is having issues so look into fur harvesters auction house. You will need auction spec boards for stretching, a fleasher, and a fleshing beam. Research how they are to be case skinned, how to cut inspection window, pinning, and how to turn a hide fur out(auction spec for coyotes) during the drying process

remember big holes mean more sowing and deductions. All blood needs to be cleaned off the hide too