Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: do blacktails taste the best?

Re: do blacktails taste the best?

I have eaten MD and WT side by side that were shot in the same canola field 1 day apart......could not tell them apart.... both awesome
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

The perfect recipe for great tasting deer starts the second the deer hits the ground. The younger the deer the less you're going to have a wild taste or the possibility of having tougher meat. Younger deer always taste good, no matter the species. The quicker you can cool the meat the better! I usually take the hide off where the deer falls because 90% of the time I do the gutless method because my deer are usually a distance from any road.

Cutting your own meat in a timely fashion makes a big difference, too. The greatest thing about butchering your meat means that you're absolutely sure who's steaks and burger you're getting. Of the thee species of deer, my favourite meat is WT doe,,,,,even better than elk and definitely better than moose.

Whitetail gets my vote

WT is amazingly tasty!

I shot a couple Columbia blacktail once, all I can say is whoa!
    Tenderloins tasted like they were marinated in tarsal gland and sea salt ����. Made decent pepperoni with the rest though lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hillerbillyvan View Post
    I shot a couple Columbia blacktail once, all I can say is whoa!
    Tenderloins tasted like they were marinated in tarsal gland and sea salt ����. Made decent pepperoni with the rest though lol

The above symbols were we’re suppose to be puking emoji

I have found out over the years that shooting an animal in the full rut does not taste good sometimes mule deer when they are in full rut and stink i found out
    that the stink goes into the meat when you eat the meat it tastes like the smell of the rutting buck,,you won't notice the stink so much if you get peporinies done
    or sussages etc For me the best tasting animal in full rut is a bull elk or moose toss up between the two of them..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    All taste great. I got a full rut four point mulie this year that is fantastic table fare,even better than the blacktail I harvested in October.
    I agree I find all the mulies I get to be consistent in being great table fair my favorite.

They are all good! But over all Whitetails are the best eating of the three Deer.