Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolves Are Eating All Our Game Animals Up In BC..

Re: Wolves Are Eating All Our Game Animals Up In BC..

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    Get yourself a doe deer call ,a bleat and put some feelings in it when you blow it like you are going to get eaten or stuck in a fence.A"comeheredeer" call would work.I lost mine and use something else now.A cow elk call would do fine as well.
    A wolf howling can be heard a long ways off on a still day.In the Spring my wife and I set up a tent in our yard and sleep outside 'till September.At times we wake up to the wolves howling across the river.I consider ourselves fortunate to be able to hear them and to hunt them where we live.
    Okay thanks.
    I have seen one fella that had a deer distress that looked like one of those early day cow calls with an elastic band but never find it for sale.
    Did look online and saw one from Primos and how they are using it but was curious to see what you were trying.

Yes, lucky (I suppose) that wolves are near by you to hunt them.
    And good job on dropping some as well.

I know we have a pact now that the next time anyone in our hunting groups runs into them, no matter what we are hunting at the time,
    they are going to be taken out.
    (kicking myself that years ago I let that huge pack walk....stupid now in hindsight).
    I don't worry about being out hunting elk and a bull is near by and I pull the pin on a wolf.
    I have seen that game don't get too worried about gunshots as many think.
    Have dropped a few elk only meters apart within only a couple of hours of each other.

Just an fyi to any who think they might be ruining their hunt if they were to shoot a wolf while in pursuit of a different species at the time.

I saw a wolf running across a huge meadow just at daybreak when gassing for elk.The wind was blowing hard.By the time I dug my coyote call outa' my jacket inside pocket he was a long ways off.I blew that call as hard as I could.After the third time he stopped,probably 500 yds away.I blew the call one more time and he turned around and came running back where he came from.I leaned my rifle against a small sappling ready to shoot.when he stopped he was about 175 yds.My buddy said "wack him".I knocked him down then he got up and ran another 100 yds.,jumped across a creek then piled up.A nice black male wolf.An hour later I shot a 6 point bull elk only a half a mile from the wolf .

Quote Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
    I saw a wolf running across a huge meadow just at daybreak when gassing for elk.The wind was blowing hard.By the time I dug my coyote call outa' my jacket inside pocket he was a long ways off.I blew that call as hard as I could.After the third time he stopped,probably 500 yds away.I blew the call one more time and he turned around and came running back where he came from.I leaned my rifle against a small sappling ready to shoot.when he stopped he was about 175 yds.My buddy said "wack him".I knocked him down then he got up and ran another 100 yds.,jumped across a creek then piled up.A nice black male wolf.An hour later I shot a 6 point bull elk only a half a mile from the wolf .
    ^^^^^Exactly.....good stuff!

I called 1 in last year with a baby hoochy momma! He was as startled to see me as I was him. High tailed it before I could get my gun up. Only saw the one but there were probably more.

Sam

Quote Originally Posted by marcus44 View Post
    Does anyone know any trappers with territory in the Winfield area? I've got an area that has a good size pack in it. I've taken a few shots at them to no avail. I will be heading up there this winter to try to call them in. If I can find a trapper that is able to trap in the area it would be helpful as well.
    I'm in kelowna and would be into a group wolf hunt if you're looking for a partner 🍻

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1947 View Post
    HarryToolips I have called in 5 different wolf packs this fall I use my voice and howl like the wolves howl ,,I called in one of the pack last year for a young feller last year he took
    a shot at the wolf and wounded it,,over the last 3 years i have called in 7 wolf packs,,I consider my voice good at wolf call in ..I have a rug from a male wolf I called
    in 3 years ago on my wall that I called this wolf in using my voice..
    Very cool I will try that this winter...

My trails cam activity are way down from 2018 for deer and elk,,in 2019 only got 50% of what I usually get on my 15 trail cams that are set up
    reason being is the wolves,cats,bears declining the elk and deer..
    Damn that sucks....

This juvenile you called into your camp looks like it is from that litter of pups that you have on trail camera on your salt lick.

Quote Originally Posted by one-shot-wonder View Post
    This juvenile you called into your camp looks like it is from that litter of pups that you have on trail camera on your salt lick.
    one-shot-wonder most of the wolves that I have seen in the area I hunt are al the same color in that one video I posted up from in a cut block when the pack surrounded my truck all where the same color..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

one-shot-wonder most of the wolves that I have seen in the area I hunt are al the same color in that one video I posted up from in a cut block when the pack surrounded my truck all where the same color..
    More in reference to the age of that young wolf. Earlier that summer you had a cam pic of a pack of pups, that juvenile could have been one of those pups from your trail camera, even more likely if your cam is within a reasonable distance to your camp. Need to really get the trapper going in that area....we save our bones and trim meat when butchering our animals, freeze it and take to the local trapper with some gas $$.....that is how we make a dent on wolf packs, not by armchair quarterbacks tromping around in the winter shooting 1 of 8 out of pack.