Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrowstone - Advice appreciated.

Arrowstone - Advice appreciated.

Hello all,

I am a reborn, relocated hunter from the Kootenays who needs to put some meat in the freezer. The wife has been patient with me for the last 4 years but she's starting to question the expense - rightfully so. I've temporarily given up on blacktails at the coast and I am going to throw a hail-mary try for a mulie buck or whitetail - anywhere in region 3 - but I am thinking the Arrowstone area might be worth a visit. I have a specific drainage in mind and would like to hear anyone's thoughts. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Arrowstone - Advice appreciated.

You’re in the right area

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyHorseshoe View Post
    You’re in the right area
    Used to be good but hunted hard by the deadman’s valley band and wolves have moved in since the fire. Slim pickings. But good luck. Avoid the Battle Creek road it’s washed out.
    good luck

Take chains if your going up top a few switch backs that turn to ice if u go off that road your going down a long ways

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Take chains if your going up top a few switch backs that turn to ice if u go off that road your going down a long ways
    If your looking for a general whitetail area try the timber lake road of the laclejune highway but stay between the highways. It used to be great until they selectively logged it. Whitetail are still there though. Also the x-country ski trails behind McConnell lake is good for whitetail as well. I’ve shot deer in both places. Haven’t been back in years I’ve found better spots . Can’t have those though lol .

I would say that the whole arrowstone area has been pounded this year, good luck finding a 4 point still alive
    Brian011

Quote Originally Posted by Brian011 View Post
    I would say that the whole arrowstone area has been pounded this year, good luck finding a 4 point still alive
    Used to be good but hunted hard by the deadman’s valley band and wolves have moved in since the fire. Slim pickings. But good luck. Avoid the Battle Creek road it’s washed out.
    good luck
    The area is hunted really, really hard!
    Ever since R5 closed for 10 days, the area gets absolutely pounded!!!
    Yes, there are a few band members that hunt the area hard and take their share of deer for sure.
    And yes, the wolves have been in there for 6+ years now, and it is really starting to show.
    Thought they were gone or had moved on, but nope, still there.
    I hear Wallachin is being impacted hard now as well by wolves.
    Met someone from the area that rides a horse all over when ever she can, and told me about a lot of areas in there that are being hit
    hard by wolves. (they are all over the areas in there now)
    I came across a lot of winter kill, pelvis's with spines, all over the place which is "not" normal, and found more this year then all the other
    years combined! (doubt it was starvation and suspect Pred kills)
    The lack of snow sure doesn't help migrating deer and yes, if on top, carry chains.
    But, up top, don't be surprised when you go up and it looks like it's been "nuked" due to all the logging.
    And that played a huge role in issues, imo, and why the area is not like it was many years ago.
    On top of that, many people know of the area or have been told of it in the past 8 years or so, and you cant really get away from folks,
    even in the timber!
    Large Area also is Grazing Lease, thus "legally", you need permission but some folks don't seem to care to ask.
    The Dirt Bike club put trails into some great areas to hunt, and then the quad hunters found it and that also really hurt the area.

Are there deer there...yes....but the ones that are get dropped fast....because it gets hit hard by hunters.
    But it shows too.....no where near the same amount as there were years ago.
    Sort of why we moved on.
    Could try the Venebles area and try to work yourself into the burned areas, but packing out can be a bit tough.
    WT in the north end of Hat Cr, but you have to know what is open land and what is private.

I would say try more by Big Bar country.
    Buddy drives a rig to PG a lot and says the most deer he sees starts around Clinton or so, and then some pockets in between.

Depends where you relocated from as you didn't state where you are now actually.

Can anyone confirm that vehicle traffic is prohibited in arrowstone? If that’s the case I would think the traffic and pressure would be less.

I went in there the season prior to the fires. Also in later november. Spent a chilly night in my sleeping bag in my Jeep .... did not see enough to want to go back.

Not just arrowstone, the whole elephant hill fire area, check the regs! there are substantial ATV closures!

Quote Originally Posted by 264mag View Post
    Can anyone confirm that vehicle traffic is prohibited in arrowstone? If that’s the case I would think the traffic and pressure would be less.