Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rattled in mule deer doe

Re: rattled in mule deer doe

Just on Saturday i had a similar experience, crept into an area i saw a little WT buck and 2 does the evening prior, waited 45 mins before making a sound, little grunt - nothing. 20 mins later little bleat - nothing. 30 mins later rake some brush to sound like a pissed off buck and within 2 mins had a WT doe clearly in estrus come running in. Was a first for me as this has always brought in bucks for me.

twoSevenO - what month do you find rattling for blacktails works? I've tried rattling last year and this year but with no success. I did get two blacktail bucks this year anyways but not from rattling.

I rattled in 2 WT does and a bull moose at the same time! Was kinda crazy. Did not rattle in a buck of course haha
    My Video Camera = Panasonic HDC-SD90

My youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/markt308

Quote Originally Posted by jamfarm View Post
    twoSevenO - what month do you find rattling for blacktails works? I've tried rattling last year and this year but with no success. I did get two blacktail bucks this year anyways but not from rattling.
    November & into early December.
    Depending on terrain they will come in quite close if the sight lines are short .... but they do it very very slowly. You gotta be patient.

I should mention .... it wont work on every buck. Just because you rattled and nothing responded doesnt mean there isnt a buck nearby.

did you manage to get a blacktail or do any other hunts in november

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    did you manage to get a blacktail or do any other hunts in november
    I cut my mule deer hunting early as you know so I can focus on day hunts. And I've been out more than last year, but havent pulled the trigger. Passed on a small 2x2 buck and then never saw another buck after that!

But it's not over. Still got one trip in me. Dec 14 or 15 I'll be there for one last kick at the can.

I'll give ya an update when its officially over .... when the light fades on Dec 15th!

Rattling is my go to method for whitetail does, they seem to love a good fight.