Thread: Comments and a question

Comments and a question

I haven't had much free time this year. So, I got out for only the 2nd time this year earlier this week. I finally found a spot with a lot of deer sign and hiked a few miles around several cut blocks. Didn't see a deer but it was a lot of fun exploring. I walked over 5 miles on Wednesday. I saw tracks of bunnies, lynx, coyote, deer, and moose. In 2 days I saw 4 moose. I know where I'll be next year for spike season because these guys looked to be the right size to be spikes next year...

My question is this; I saw 2 areas 30+ feet in diameter where the snow was completely torn up with moose tracks. There were huge chunks of moose hair scattered around the area. There were 2 such 'circles' within 100 yards of each other.

What the hell was that about? I saw 2 young moose in the vicinity. My guess is they were 'play sparring'. But, that's only a guess. I have no idea.

Thoughts?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Comments and a question

Stomped out area and moose hair on the ground, Id agree with what you said, two moose having a go at eachother. BUT I have a question....was there any wolf sign around? its late in the season and moose are getting ready for winter trying to preserve energy, seems odd to have them fighting this time in the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Firstblood View Post
    Stomped out area and moose hair on the ground, Id agree with what you said, two moose having a go at eachother. BUT I have a question....was there any wolf sign around? its late in the season and moose are getting ready for winter trying to preserve energy, seems odd to have them fighting this time in the season.
    No blood. Just hair and two healthy moose spotted a few hundred yards away - headed right back to that area. I don't think I saw any wolf sign.

Was there somewhere they could have been scratching ticks or pests off? Wrong time of year for that too iguess

Hey horseshoe, It didn't look like there had been any rolling involved (although I did find a couple places where moose had obviously bedded down). Just lots of cavorting about in my estimation.

Unbred cow will come back into heat for a second time, this would certainly get the bulls close by worked up. Likely a hot cow nearby had the 2 youngsters feeling their oats and having a little scrap.
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson