Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the whitetails go

Re: Where did all the whitetails go

I am cynical (believing that people are motivated by self interest) until I see these petitions backed by more than anidotical statements about what people are seeing in the bush.

A potential problem has been identified, needs to be proven now with real data.

The biologist I spoke with said that the winter weather and snow pack is really hard on WT. That being said I would gladly sign a petition to stop the Doe season!!

Look at the last couple of years with the province being blanketed in smoke over the summer that definitely plays a role in the health of the wildlife population. Also, as more and more people find there way into the back country the smarter and more animals are becoming

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    The biologist I spoke with said that the winter weather and snow pack is really hard on WT. That being said I would gladly sign a petition to stop the Doe season!!
    sign away and I’ll gladly keep blasting 3 WT a season including 1-2 does depending on how much tasty table fare I want. Mmmm

first tag I fill every year is a WT doe. That’s the money right there.

I guess I’m not as manly as a lot of the hunters here.

it’s hilarious that the people not shooting WT or even finding them call for a season change. Maybe you guys just don’t know how to hunt white tail? It’s not a fluke myself and my hunting partner took FIVE white tail out this season for the freezer, I personally saw dozens of WT every single putting.

But boo hoo I wasn’t able to road hunt them numbers must be down.

They're all moving to Region 2 where there is no season. Smart buggers.

Keep the pressure on the WTD, harvest many bucks and does.
    "If you ever go into the bush, there are grizzly bears lurking behind just about every bush, waiting to pounce, so you need a powerful gun, with huge bullets" - Gatehouse ~ 2004

Quote Originally Posted by todbartell View Post
    Keep the pressure on the WTD, harvest many bucks and does.
    exactly. These deer are much much more adaptable than mule deer, even our liberal seasons won’t slow them down a smidgeon. You will see all the mule deer vanish before you need to start worrying about the white tail populations declining, they are just smarter than your average hunter and that frustrates a lot of people into thinking they aren’t there.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    Forgot to ask... how are the mule deer doing in your area? Have they improved??
    Did you come down and hunt them in the kootenay you tell me and will both know thanxs
    bigben

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    sign away and I’ll gladly keep blasting 3 WT a season including 1-2 does depending on how much tasty table fare I want. Mmmm

first tag I fill every year is a WT doe. That’s the money right there.

I guess I’m not as manly as a lot of the hunters here.

it’s hilarious that the people not shooting WT or even finding them call for a season change. Maybe you guys just don’t know how to hunt white tail? It’s not a fluke myself and my hunting partner took FIVE white tail out this season for the freezer, I personally saw dozens of WT every single putting.

But boo hoo I wasn’t able to road hunt them numbers must be down.
    just spent 40 hours over the last 5 days in my blind past on 2 smaller bucks no road hunter here. I don’t hunt just for the meat I enjoy the challenge and the experience in the woods. Maybe you could give us all some of your great tips on Whitetail hunting!!!
    Last edited by jac; 11-28-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Did you come down and hunt them in the kootenay you tell me and will both know thanxs
    No I haven’t but the main reason why the East Koots ‘had’ a two whitetail doe limit was to reduce their numbers. While some hunters may long for the days of seeing a hundred whitetail does before lunch, it wasn’t good for the habitat.... or mule deer.
    ’Apparent competition’ with mule deer was an issue.

That population reduction was met and the whitey doe limit was reduced to one.

If the whitetails did take a hit last winter, stay on them. You won’t keep them down for long but it will benefit the mule deer.

Maybe re-read that mulw deer thread that I bumped not long ago. So much good info in there from knowledgeable people that are no longer with us.

My whitetail season here lasted a total of 45 mins...but I don’t put a lot of weight in my personal observations.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....