Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did all the whitetails go

Re: Where did all the whitetails go

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    RyoTHC - Read the original post as the reference is to the Kootenay populations.
    I hunted the Koots for the 16th straight year and we definitely saw less animals than any previous year but we got bucks. I haven't shot a doe since 2015 and i have many hunting partners who also stopped a few years back, but yet i still took 2 deer this year with a (manly) 3pt MD and 4pt WT
    That being said we saw less wolf sign than previous. Saw good elk numbers with some herds with 100% calf recruitment and other herds with 0% calves which represents some of the predator issues.
    Couple of years back was a deep snow winter which took its toll on the deer, couple that with a peak in preds and a generous GOS it takes its toll.
    I personally prefer a LEH so the areas of excess volume can be managed rather than a GOS where its a shoot fest - nothing wrong with hunting in general open seasons but then the balance gets out in some areas its best to react early rather than later point fingers at everyone else.
    Seems its time to react.
    What you say is correct by just a GOS on the does it is not showing if it helps in anyway, since SSS says it was implemented to help mule deer if they had made it leh for areas were both were affected it may have shown something.
    But with GOS many were taken that would have no affect on mule deer anyway.

Reducing deer hunting regulations will have negligible affect on deer populations. WT are very resilient, unless weather is severe and prolonged.
    The focus should be concentrated on access restrictions (ie road closures), habitat improvement (ie prescribed burns where needed) and most importantly, predator management.
    I wonder how many of the ones complaining are at least shooting spring bears and actively hunting coyotes.
    I see lots of whitetails on trail cams being predominantly nocturnal until about Nov 12 - 20 in my area. Then the bucks are showing up regularly in daylight.
    Last edited by huntingfamily; 11-29-2019 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I doubt the strong WT populations in 3/8/4/7B are effected much by the doe season. Yes there is flights in BC where they stop counting WT but this does not apply for majority of the province but for region 8 you bet this has happened. Tons of areas in BC are very low density WT populations as well and many MUs rarely see counts.

Yes most BC hunters are way behind with WT tactics compared to those areas in North America where WT is the top species targeted. This is a big factor to most being unsuccessful on WT in BC now that you are hunting pressured deer they get smart. Not going to pick a$$ because there is multiple ways to get it done but yes most BC hunters need to adapt to target WT.

Have fun boys switching to another location for the afternoon wind change
    With the way you talk im surprised B.C. hunters can get anything, I guess there not as good as you Albertans, that seem to no so much about B.C. but continually complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Reducing deer hunting regulations will have negligible affect on deer populations.
    The focus should be concentrated on access restrictions (ie road closures), habitat improvement (ie prescribed burns where needed) and most importantly, predator management.
    I wonder how many of the ones complaining are at least shooting spring bears and actively hunting coyotes.
    I see lots of whitetails on trail cams being predominantly nocturnal until about Nov 12 - 20 in my area. Then the bucks are showing up regularly in daylight.
    Habitat improvements are always good but not an issue for WT. Access restrictions are a waste of time and instead only concentrates pressure on accessible area do piss all for overall ungulate populations. This is a waste as far as WT are concerned

Come visit Willmore and see for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    With the way you talk im surprised B.C. hunters can get anything, I guess there not as good as you Albertans, that seem to no so much about B.C. but continually complain about it.
    Reality check for you I was born in BC spent a large part of my life hunting there too but also spent plenty of time living and hunting in Alberta too lol.

Hunters from both provinces have the strengths over each other but plain and simple WT are a way higher priority for hunters in Alberta and because of it they have put way more effort into hunting them then majority of B.C. hunters. I started hunting WT in BC and learning from Alberta deer hunters was an eye opener. Just like most Alberta hunters will fall short of most B.C. hunters in the high country hunts because there is way more focus on these hunts in B.C..

Sorry I hurt your feelings but it is what it is if you want to admit it or not

Quote Originally Posted by huntingfamily View Post
    Reducing deer hunting regulations will have negligible affect on deer populations. WT are very resilient, unless weather is severe and prolonged.
    Couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by tyreguy View Post
    RyoTHC - Read the original post as the reference is to the Kootenay populations.
    I hunted the Koots for the 16th straight year and we definitely saw less animals than any previous year but we got bucks. I haven't shot a doe since 2015 and i have many hunting partners who also stopped a few years back, but yet i still took 2 deer this year with a (manly) 3pt MD and 4pt WT
    That being said we saw less wolf sign than previous. Saw good elk numbers with some herds with 100% calf recruitment and other herds with 0% calves which represents some of the predator issues.
    Couple of years back was a deep snow winter which took its toll on the deer, couple that with a peak in preds and a generous GOS it takes its toll.
    I personally prefer a LEH so the areas of excess volume can be managed rather than a GOS where its a shoot fest - nothing wrong with hunting in general open seasons but then the balance gets out in some areas its best to react early rather than later point fingers at everyone else.
    Seems its time to react.

I went on one hunting trip to zone 4, for 2.5 days. Passed on 3 bucks and atleast two dozen does.

Again, this isn’t a population issue it’s a hunter issue. These are not mule deer and even the people that claim that they know how to hunt white tail, when I actually speak to them they are just recycling mule deer tactics or aimlessly walking /driving around and hoping for the best.

it’s by no mistake I can drive into an area I’ve never been, look at the terrain and feed available and find the white tails each and every time.

are there areas that have lower numbers than others? Absolutely. But there is so much whining and crying about the doe seasons and it’s not the reason people aren’t seeing deer lol

you B.C. folk need to take a step back and re evaluate how and when you hunt if you want to consistently be successful with whitetail.

it’s more likely that elk hunters are going to have more success finding and hunting white tails as some / a lot of the same tactics will apply. They travel the same ways, stick to cover in the same ways, habitually travel the same route etc.

if you have hunted mule deer you’re entire career you’re going to have a real tough time transferring to white tails.

RoyTHC do you want to come teach me how to hunt WT

I think I forgot how lol

Quick question for the WT experts can you explain why there a very few deer sightings or road kills anymore in 4 arent these a good indication of population?I haved lived in the WK my whole life on the road every day and see very little

Quote Originally Posted by RyoTHC View Post
    myself and everyone in my hunting party. White tail doe is our first big game target each year, then we move to MD bucks then WT bucks. There is no hesitation from any of us to drop that second doe as well if we are limited in time and we will continue to do so. I hunted zone 3 and 8 this season and I’m talking 50+ hunting days, not just your frustrated weekend warrior and guess what, I saw MORE white tail than mule deer over the entirety of the season. Zone 8 and 3 included.

it makes me laugh so so so hard when I see anyone on this forum complaining about not finding WT or the populations. I have ran into HUNDREDS of WT within a 2 hour drive of my house this season. They are EVERYWHERE if you can actually figure them out and aren’t too lazy to put in the effort.

I hole heartedly believe even half the people on here that “claim” they are getting out of the truck and spending the time to hunt WT are not. They half ass it get frustrated and quit. Also, how many of you guys can tell the difference between MD and WT sign? They act very differently and it’s distinctive more often than not.
    Well that's good to hear...this year I've seen a lot of MD and not as much WT, that being said I have seen them just not quite as much (but I also just missed a crankier WT last weekend, stupid mistake)...very good to hear they're doing so well in your area...