Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Heading over to the South Gulf Islands in a few days.

Any tips, do's and don'ts hunting with buckshot?

50 yards max?

Aim at the head or boiler?

Whats your experience?

Will be using flight control with full choke.

THX!
    He's anything but a hunter.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.
    To the point you or Joe public, won't know them any more..
    They count on that big time..

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Heading over to the South Gulf Islands in a few days.

Any tips, do's and don'ts hunting with buckshot?

50 yards max?

Aim at the head or boiler?

Whats your experience?

Will be using flight control with full choke.

THX!
    did you pattern your shot? That’s the first thing you need to do before deciding on shot placement. Definitely keep it under 50 yards. Buck shot can mess a deer up

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    did you pattern your shot? That’s the first thing you need to do before deciding on shot placement. Definitely keep it under 50 yards. Buck shot can mess a deer up
    Yes I have.

From what little I've found on You tube, need to move in quick to finish the deal.
    More like another, Rain Coast Sociopath Fraud. Living off the prevails of his chronic lies, like the rest of them...

It's an issue, because these sociopath environmentalist's, will dilute the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohwildwon View Post
    Yes I have.

From what little I've found on You tube, need to move in quick to finish the deal.
    That’s good then. Why buck shot and not slugs, out of curiosity. Slugs are far more lethal and penetrate Bush very well. I messed up a deer bad with buck shot many years ago it did the trick that’s for sure.

I second the comment of buck shot will ruin a deers day right fast in a hurry. Couple years ago I watched a guy shoot a buck from fairly close range >30m with no Choke from a 28" barrel with 3" 00 buck. Down and ready for a coup de grace. Later on, we found out only one pellet hit the deer straight through the heart. Mind you that was a pretty small deer, a wee 2 point, but I think with a Choke you'll be golden so long as you're patterned and can lead a running deer if necessary.

I wouldn't want to shoot at 50 yards with buckshot unless I had patterned it at that distance and it the pattern was good.

I've used buckshot on several bears with varying degrees of success. When up close, it's really effective, but as the pattern spreads it gets much less so.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    That’s good then. Why buck shot and not slugs, out of curiosity. Slugs are far more lethal and penetrate Bush very well. I messed up a deer bad with buck shot many years ago it did the trick that’s for sure.

Could be wrong, but quite sure not allowed, (slugs) on S G Islands?

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    I wouldn't want to shoot at 50 yards with buckshot unless I had patterned it at that distance and it the pattern was good.

I've used buckshot on several bears with varying degrees of success. When up close, it's really effective, but as the pattern spreads it gets much less so.

Thx Gate.

Thinking 75-100 ft max to start.

yes i would think what ever distance your pattern expands past 6-8 inches..
    i use buckshot on the farm when i go outside in the dark. but my defense attitude is much different thsn my offence attitude.

I've killed a couple BTs with buckshot. I'd recommend keeping within 30 yards.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."