Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Re: Hunting Black Tails with Buckshot

Quote Originally Posted by 1/2 slam View Post
    Have a look at Winchester "Defender" Ammunition. It is a 1 oz slug AND 3 buckshot pellets. I'm not sure if it's legal as I haven't read the regulations in a while.
    It's not ....

multiple projectile/shotgun means 8 or more roughly spherical projectiles of #1 buck or larger

If someone started producing a 3/4 oz ball bearing shaped slug wrapped in a flight-stabilizing tail wad with 7 pellets of #1 buck behind it, I'm all in

Buckshot is tricky, as has been mentioned, pattern the gun, not with one or two shots but a box at least. The flight control wad doesnt need a full choke, the extra restriction actually has a negative effect on the wad by making the wad separate earlier so Id stick with IC. Last deer I shot was a spike while I was duck hunting, 30 yds, IC choke, pellets from nose to tail, would be hard pressed to use buck shot ever again.

Not a problem on really close shots but without a rangefinder to give you an accurate distance, using buckshot is problematic,as said 5 yards can make the diference between a wounded deer that dies next week or putting one right down.Hunting from a stand you can pre range your shots but still hunting you don’t get much chance