Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not bait bears

Re: Why not bait bears

Solid idea in theory - especially for taking only large boars.

But personally, hunting looses some of the magic taking an animal over a pile of donuts and used cooking grease.

And I hate it when my hunting shows are half an hour of sitting over a dirty barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelD View Post
    Who says the MOE is encouraging people to get out and harvest black bears any more than any other species? There are open seasons and bag limits set according to what the population can withstand.
    If you’ve read any of the big game hunting forecasts, it always says that the hunting opportunity for black bears is largely under-utilized. While it’s probably not the official position of the ministry, many of the regional biologists think that.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Bears over bait is a great way for young and inexperienced hunters to learn to judge bears and would stop, imho, a lot of "ground shrinkage" incedents
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

I've always found it strange that in Alberta you can bait bears but not deer,,,,,the opposite in this province. And the strangest law yet in Alberta is not allowing hunters to use dogs to recover lost ungulates. They'd rather have predators find them instead of the people who shot them. Can't understand their reasoning behind that?

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    If you’ve read any of the big game hunting forecasts, it always says that the hunting opportunity for black bears is largely under-utilized. While it’s probably not the official position of the ministry, many of the regional biologists think that.

SSS
    I’ve been fortunate enough to know a few biologist in my time and what they think in private vs public are entirely two different things some times. Take our shrinking grass lands.. one retired biologist I knew fairly well once told me all the pass lake country needed to burn in order to create new grasslands for burrowing owls,sharp tails ect. He also said he’d never say that in public or to his boss. Believe me the biologist are victims of politics as well and they do get quite frustrated.. special interests groups with lots of cash. Not an easy job

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I'm not sure there's many places in BC that don't have grizzlies. Maybe Kamloops south and east of highway 5 and west of 33? I'm just not familiar with that are in terms of wildlife.
    I've seen Grizzly in the Okanagan 3-4 years ago, and I've heard reports of them up highway 33 behind Big White and that area as well... I think because of their healthy population they are starting to spread out.

Quote Originally Posted by DarekG View Post
    I've seen Grizzly in the Okanagan 3-4 years ago, and I've heard reports of them up highway 33 behind Big White and that area as well... I think because of their healthy population they are starting to spread out.
    I don't think there's anywhere in BC that doesn't have grizzly bears... can even find them pretty close to Vancouver.

Nothing to do with baiting, but on the topic of bears....After listening to a podcast where Valerius Geist discusses predators, and how wolves knock ungulate populations down and then move on, but bears will KEEP the population down, I think BC hunters need to make a much bigger effort to hunt bears. We are allowed 2 a year and the tags are not difficult to fill right now, there seems to be bears all over these days.

Maybe it's time to resurrect the HBC Spring Bear Contest, and encourage young and old alike to target some bears!
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I dont know were you live .. But around here you dont need too there everywhere all sizes . Good open blocks and grassy roads . come down to the koots and get your two bears if you like . We chase them out of the yard 3-4 times a spring . chased one bear out of my cherry tree 3 times in one night !. we dont shoot them around the hood . just chase them into the neibors yard and then they move on .. And yes we keep our garbage can in our carport half the spring . which i caught one beer right in the carport in the middle of the afternoon . i chased him off with a hockey stick ! Damm bears ! lol
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Baiting habituates them to human food. If there are to many bear and increasing why not legalize the sale of gall bladders and thus increase legal hunting pressure?