Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why not bait bears

Why not bait bears

Considering how the M.O.E is encouraging hunters to get out and harvest black bears you’d think they’d let us bait to up our odds. Researchers back east have determined that baiting bears which allows for the removal of large boars, actually increases the bear populations. This is due to the fact that boars kill cubs to bring sows back into heat. Let’s face it you can’t just drive around, spot a bear and jump out and start shooting. The way it is now , one really has to spend considerable time observing to be sure of no cubs. I love spot and stalk no doubt. However; I don’t believe baiting is any less sporting, or exiting. Yet we can bait deer in bc, even though numbers are some what in decline. Go figure. I believe we have all of this ass backwards. No baiting deer and yes to baiting bears.
    what’s every body’s thoughts on the subject is my question?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Why not bait bears

I don't think we're trying to increase our population at the moment, but maintain current populations in some areas and reduce numbers in most.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I don't think we're trying to increase our population at the moment, but maintain current populations in some areas and reduce numbers in most.
    I hear you. But I’m not entirely sure I believe the research is correct. Male bear kills cubs breeds sow and produces cubs. Sounds like a break even deal to me. Also gas for most of us limits a lot of guys to how much driving and glassing one can do. Baiting would actually create opportunity which is what the government is always pushing... opportunities.

No opposed to legalizing baiting bears in BC but the only thing that could be an issue is BCs grizzly populations

Don’t know how other western areas deal with baiting black bear in grizzly areas within a season but I know with Alberta it’s no baiting in areas that are likely to have grizzly conflict.

While I cant see myself going the baiting route were it legal, theres no doubt it is a great method to ensure older age class bears are taken, and greatly reduced the the number of sows with unseen Cubs taken. With the amount of great spot and stalk opportunity here in b.c., I just cant see myself putting in the amount of time baiting requires. Not sure if I ever really heard why it is illegal here....???
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

The main reason that baiting of bears isn’t allowed in BC is because the presence of grizzly bears throughout much of the province.

Grizzly bears will defend a bait pile just like a carcass.
    People and/or grizzly bears would unnecessarily end up dead.

There are areas of Alberta where baiting of bears is prohibited due to the presence of grizzly bears.

SSS
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    The main reason that baiting of bears isn’t allowed in BC is because the presence of grizzly bears throughout much of the province.

Grizzly bears will defend a bait pile just like a carcass.
    People and/or grizzly bears would unnecessarily end up dead.

There are areas of Alberta where baiting of bears is prohibited due to the presence of grizzly bears.

SSS
    I definitely understand that. I was more a less thinking on a regional basis or even a unit basis in areas with no grizzly on the land scape. I don’t mind either method of hunting black bears but I do think spot and stock is more sporting. I do wonder though how many sows with cubs are shot. I had an old buddy many years ago shot a sow and soon after he saw the cubs up a tree. Needless to say our friend ship was over!! I was disgusted with him.

I'm not sure there's many places in BC that don't have grizzlies. Maybe Kamloops south and east of highway 5 and west of 33? I'm just not familiar with that are in terms of wildlife.

Quote Originally Posted by warnniklz View Post
    I'm not sure there's many places in BC that don't have grizzlies. Maybe Kamloops south and east of highway 5 and west of 33? I'm just not familiar with that are in terms of wildlife.
    there is grizzly there too lol

I used to think grizzly where only in parts of BC but after enough time in the bush I realized they are everywhere just the density changes

Who says the MOE is encouraging people to get out and harvest black bears any more than any other species? There are open seasons and bag limits set according to what the population can withstand.