Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why not bait bears

Re: Why not bait bears

I bet that most B.C. bear hunters are too lazy to bait bears anyway. I know I don’t want to do all that work.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I baited bears in Ontario for a fishing/hunting lodge. We only used natural materials (burlap bags) no 45 gal. plastic bins like you see on today's hunting shows. The baits were fish guts from the lodge and meat scraps from the local butcher. All hunting was from the ground we didn't build tree stands, our ground blinds were made of brush,sticks and logs. After a few weeks it would be difficult to find any trace of a bait site everything was cleaned up by nature.
    We only catered to archers so our blinds were quite close to the bait, creating some very exciting encounters with the bears.
    I think in BC we would want tree stands because of the grizzlies, and they should be regulated like in Alaska. Except I do not agree with
    all the crap/garbage stuff that is left behind. All bait sites should be marked and the user post his name and license number on trees in the area to warn others that there is an active bait.

Would baiting bears potentially change their behaviour?

Say for example there's a bait station with a bunch of donuts, grain, grease, etc. It's maybe 1km from a road that other outdoor users like to camp on. The bears get used to scoring grub at your bait station despite the human scent you left behind. Now maybe those bears would be more conditioned to go visit (raid) camps?

The above would be my only concern, that it would condition bears in some way and not for the better. I have no idea if it actually does or not. I would "guess" that it might. What are the rules in Alaska? Or Manitoba? Can it be done anywhere or does it have to be a very remote area (like 20km from a road)

Personally I think grass in the spring is the best bait. I hunt over that bait all the time

Quote Originally Posted by MOOSE MILK View Post
    I baited bears in Ontario for a fishing/hunting lodge. We only used natural materials (burlap bags) no 45 gal. plastic bins like you see on today's hunting shows. The baits were fish guts from the lodge and meat scraps from the local butcher. All hunting was from the ground we didn't build tree stands, our ground blinds were made of brush,sticks and logs. After a few weeks it would be difficult to find any trace of a bait site everything was cleaned up by nature.
    We only catered to archers so our blinds were quite close to the bait, creating some very exciting encounters with the bears.
    I think in BC we would want tree stands because of the grizzlies, and they should be regulated like in Alaska. Except I do not agree with
    all the crap/garbage stuff that is left behind. All bait sites should be marked and the user post his name and license number on trees in the area to warn others that there is an active bait.
    good post moose milk.. nothing like good old fashion common sense..and a few rules to go by. If only our wildlife guys in government could think like that imagine how much easier things would be. Baiting should be treated like dumping scraps in the regs stay far far away from recreational areas label your station ect. Not that hard

Quote Originally Posted by caddisguy View Post
    Would baiting bears potentially change their behaviour?

Say for example there's a bait station with a bunch of donuts, grain, grease, etc. It's maybe 1km from a road that other outdoor users like to camp on. The bears get used to scoring grub at your bait station despite the human scent you left behind. Now maybe those bears would be more conditioned to go visit (raid) camps?

The above would be my only concern, that it would condition bears in some way and not for the better. I have no idea if it actually does or not. I would "guess" that it might. What are the rules in Alaska? Or Manitoba? Can it be done anywhere or does it have to be a very remote area (like 20km from a road)

Personally I think grass in the spring is the best bait. I hunt over that bait all the time
    What you mention all ready happens from wolf baiting, bears get habituated.
    Also as you mention there is acres of grass and slides through out the province no need to add baiting to harvest a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    What you mention all ready happens from wolf baiting, bears get habituated.
    Wolf and coyote baiting usually involves prey they are normally involved with in the bush not products produced by people for their own consumption.

I have no issue with baiting bears, and I do agree its a great way for an archer to get close to a bear, be selective and wait for a good shot.

But like many have said, most places in BC have country that caters to spot and stalk. Not hard to find and get close to black bears. Very different story in other provinces.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Wolf and coyote baiting usually involves prey they are normally involved with in the bush not products produced by people for their own consumption.
    Yes along with cattle horse and other dead farm animals, point is it still habituates them and bears, and may not be in a good way.