Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Carpenter Lake in Early Sept.

Carpenter Lake in Early Sept.

Does anyone hunt the area in the early season. I'm going to head over there and give it a go but if anyone has any info that would be great. Was thinking of hiking into some of the high elevation alpine meadows, possibly around the taylor creek area. Is it worth my while?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Carpenter Lake in Early Sept.

If you climb way up in elevation you should do good for mule deer, thats where they are up top now, if your in good shape, and have water to drink. You will be sweating profusely. Take bandages for blisters too, where boots that are broke in good. Some guys use horses up there so you could hike the trails. I hunted down just above the lake years ago and saw nice buck

Re:carpenter Lake In Early Sept. I Have A Place In Bralorne Just South Of Carpenter Lake .i've Hunted In The Area For A Few Years.if You Hunt The High Ridges Above The Lake It Can Be Productive.get A Good Map Of The Area To Find The Old Mining Trails In The Area.look For Deer Trails And Try Still Hunting In A Blind If Your Patient They Will Come To You.area North Of Tyax Resort Can Be Good As Well.good Luck And See You In Sept.

Spent a summer working up the Cadwallader. Saw some really nice bucks in there.

some EXELLENT deer ....

Steven

I spent the summer up the cadwalleder with dana, and we did see some nice bucks, along with goats. not to much info but glass the alpine in the early season they will still be up high.

steve

Deer don't come down to Carpeneter until the weather gets nasty...Lots of deer up high early on. And many good trails that you can hike/ride horses along and spot from.

A couple of years ago I was up there and we got into an early season blizzard in th ehigh areas. A few does trailing fawns almost knocked us over!! Shot a nice buck the next day.

One week later, when we returned- Not a deer in sight, and little sign, as it appeared they migrated like hell.

Bottom line? Great earl seasin alpine hunting. Gorgeous country, and made for horses. I just wish I had some..........
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I went half way to Mud Lake up the Mud Lake Road in the middle of October one time. Camped in an awesome spot, lots of clearcuts and old roads to walk on, but there were no deer there.

We didn't make it to anywhere with access to alpine 'cause my buddy was uncertain how much gas was left in his truck as the gauge was broken and he didn't want to drive any further.

I think the deer were much higher than we were still. It was cold at night but there was no snow yet.

Have hunted up Relay creek area....steep country but you won't see another soul up there and some smoker bucks....take the spotting scope. Good luck.

I'm going back there this early season too. There're bucks up there. I saw some huge bucks up there last time I was there. However, they were all 3x3s and not allowed to be taken during 4x4 only season. There're a few good spots with walking access only, but the best spots are surprisingly close to civilization.
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 62# @ 28", Osage-Bloodwood/Maple/Bamboo with Bocote Riser
    Alex Li Custom Recurve 48" 53# @ 28", Bocote/Bamboo with Water Buffalo Horn Covered Belly
    Blackwidow Recurve 56" 61# @ 28"