Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvested a decent Whitetail this past weekend.

Harvested a decent Whitetail this past weekend.

This guy gave me the slip 2 weekends ago so buddy and I went out again to the same spot since the deer sign there is so magnificent. Amazing amount of rubs and scrapes and trails and tracks and loads of scat drops everywhere, yet this weekend we didn't see many deer - I'm figuring they were just a little further off than we ventured to.

So fairly early Saturday morning we crossed the river and headed into the area that I've been keeping secret for over thirty years now - some big boys in there and have scored one or two every year I've gone into there.

Couple weeks ago deer were everywhere, signs everywhere but only the does were hanging around long enough to observe. It was clear that the bucks weren't chasing the girls yet. I did catch the glimpse of one in the trees and with the time consumed verifying antlers, I was too slow on the draw and a good 5-point slipped away from me through the trees. I thought I could get a poke at him as he exited the trees and I anticipated where he would come out but I anticipated incorrectly and he popped out and crossed the trail 20 feet over and I didn't get the shot. I followed him in the direction he went only to see his back end slip away into dense brush again. He wasn't spooked and I didn't push him but funny to observe him crouching and sneaking away. First time I witnessed this.

We decided to give the spot a bit of a rest the following weekend and decided to return on the 23rd. This was the day I shot my last one there last year. So we returned and only saw one doe upon approaching the area. Watched her and the surroundings for a while but no Mr's lurking about - weird.
    We get our waders on and cross the river to the promise land. Buddy and I go in different directions, he would set up near where I saw the one two weekends prior and I would take a wide loop and try stalk or drive deer toward him and up their escape trail. Dang it - 20 minutes later and no sighting of deer. We meet up and make a plan and head to "my" happy place in the woods except I would take my normal route and Buddy chose to take a parallel trail deeper in the woods. The cleanest and quietest route to get there is about 3-kms away from the trucks. This is the limit of my search for deer - I just won't go anymore than that and only in this area because it's such a nice walk. As I go through the little wood spot and soft depression, I slowly sneak up because I've seen a lot of deer in this area. I don't see anything right away but head directly to my lucky log that I've scored from just sitting and waiting with just my shoulders and head above the grass.

Within seconds I notice movement - what is it coyote? I stretch my neck a little for a better look and this buck is heading right to me. The sucker was using the depression in the field for cover but I was at the right place at the right time and I caught him in the open. It's a strong trail that crosses the field there I've shot 4 bucks off that log over the years. So up comes the rifle, I'm on him and bang, he's boogying into hyper drive, what - did I miss - can't be. I rapidly fire a second, and I hear the smack but he's headed for the dreaded thorn thickets - oh, hell no. Jack another shell and he hits the dirt. He dies a mere 6 steps from where last year's buck died - on the same date and time. Crazy. All three shots were good, the first one would have killed him but man, this guy didn't want to give up too easy.

My buddy hears these three shots and he's coming to help me but he can't find me - he's yelling and I'm yelling back but he can't hear me. Finally I put on my red toque and here he comes. We start to drag and this is a heavy buck. With both of us dragging, we go ten steps then have to stop. finally after 3km of this and 3-1/2 hours we get to the river and my buddy seems worried. I assure him they float easy and this is the easiest part of the recovery - and it was. But then we have to hoist him up a 6' river bank - that wasn't easy but we did it actually easier than I though. My buddy is 9 years my senior but he is one strong dude.

We're tired and there is another steep bank to get up to a road. I say screw it - let's go get the truck. I unhook my trailer and drive to the edge of the bank, we winch the deer to the road and then I slowly back out dragging the remaining 300 yards to the trailer. Brought the deer into the trailer and he spent the night in there with me. Kind of a creepy feeling but after a few beers in me, sleep came quick. Things got a little exciting when I had to get up to take a leak and my leg touched his antlers - I had forgotten about him and now he was out to get me. lol.

He's a decent buck and my 3rd largest from this spot. Either this one was the heaviest or I'm just getting weaker as time moves on. He seemed a little longer to me than usual. Even with the head, legs and hide removed, my kid and I had a heck of a time hanging him in the garage last night. I'll start taking him apart and de-boning him tonight after supper - the buck - not my kid.

Last edited by Rieber; 11-25-2019 at 08:17 PM.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Harvested a decent Whitetail this past weekend.

Great buck and write-up! Congrats and thanks for posting!

Nothing wrong with that one

I don’t know about sleeping with your buck though lol

That's a fantastic buck. Huge congrats!!!

I'd never drag an animal that far. That just seems so much more exhausting than carrying on one your back, let alone 1/2 if a buddy is near.

Awesome and congrats!

Very decent indeed!

Yeah, wenn you wrote "I put him in the trailer and went to bed", that is NOT the image that came to mind. That IS a wee bit creepy, but at least you didn't roll over for a hug and lost an eye...

Congrats...that's awesome!Curious about the whole trailer setup....

Wait... you DRAGGED him for THREE k?

great job on that bad boy...lots of mass there...sure is nice to have a spot that produces consistently...I also drag em

"decent"... Frig off! That thing is awesome!

Congratulations on a beauty of a buck and a great story. Sounds like you need a game cart for those long hauls. I bought one after I dragged a buck over a kilometre. Crazy carpet works great too if there is snow cover.