Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Quote Originally Posted by ratherbefishin View Post
    Does the BCWF arbitrarily decide casual hunters like me should not be allowed to hunt with archery tackle because I don’t fit their purist criteria?
    No, and that is why overly dramatic threads like this one can be so damaging. It encourages a false perspective that the BCWF is moving fast to ban crossbows, which is not the case.

There are a number of layers proposals like this must travel through the BCWF before being suggested to government, and then it is up to the ministry to decide whether they would like to proceed, not proceed, get more public input or just ignore the whole thing. And as a proposal like this is sure to be very controversial, it’s unlikely it would proceed very far in the BCWF anyway.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 11-26-2019 at 12:14 PM.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

The only excuse to ban crossbows as far as I can see is to curtail poaching or stop pictures showing up in the front page showing a dead deer on somebodies lawn with a crossbow bolt sticking out if it.I doubt very much any deer hit with my Excalibur would have a bolt still in it,unless it was shot at a long distance with a poor shot.In fact, the deer we’ve taken even with double lung shots ran a considerable distance and that alone makes me pause before hunting with it.I hate the thought of losing an animal or worse,wounding one

I am a little late to this party! and many pages to have to decipher, but I am too lazy right now

If BCWF is entertaining this, they are shooting themselves in the head!
    Even if this is just protocol to "discuss" issues like this and wont go far, I still think it is absurd at a time like this.

There are way way too many other issues that need attention in BC for the BCWF to sink their teeth into then to be wasting any time
    what so ever on another "Hunter Restriction"!

I get it, I belong to a council, and there is always one or 2 individuals who get sidetracked into some obscure issue and end up taking
    everyone with them down a useless path of time wasted.
    But someone needs to "dig in" at BCWF nd start pointing folks in the right direction at their own table!

My only concern/query regarding this proposal is the timing. I am sure it is not sudden as this sort takes consideration, including the inevitable fall out. That being said, why was it proposed a little over so close to the Region 2 AGM. As many know, after previous events the attendance of the lower mainland AGM is down significantly in recent in recent years.

I know Mark, I respect mark. But don't believe that this, or many resolutiion presented at this AGM would receive the proper debate they deserve, especially ones presented so late.
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

With BCWF’s long history of anti archery only opportunities I don’t think people should have much fear in the BCWF taking a proposal to remove crossbows from archery season beyond a proposition from a regional level

It would be more likely for the BCWF to attempt getting shotguns included in the 9 day archery/youth/crossbow season

The biggest opposition to crossbows in bow season have always come from bowhunters that don't like crossbows. I don't recall the BCWF ever trying to curtail their use in bow season in the past.

I am sure there are still some bowhunters would be salivating at the idea of the getting rid of crossbows.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Not to "assume", but I would think that any changes (proposed or otherwise) in hunting regulations are/should be based on the interests of wildlife...???

Is the allowance of crossbow use during the "archery only" season truly detrimental to wildlife (populations) in any way?

BAN

The biggest opposition to crossbows in bow season have always come from bowhunters that don't like crossbows. I don't recall the BCWF ever trying to curtail their use in bow season in the past.

Do you recall bcwf ever doing anything for Wildlife we hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlt1 View Post
    Not to "assume", but I would think that any changes (proposed or otherwise) in hunting regulations are/should be based on the interests of wildlife...???

Is the allowance of crossbow use during the "archery only" season truly detrimental to wildlife (populations) in any way?
    That's one of the real questions, and while looking at modern crossbow technology, modern compound technology needs to be looked at too. If it's not a conservation concern, then we probably don't need to have a discussion about it.

The other question is - are bow only seasons designed to provide hunter opportunity without excessive harvest, or are they to allow bow hunters an exclusive season? Depending on the season, it's probably a bit of both.
    Last edited by Gateholio; 11-26-2019 at 08:47 PM.

And good posts Willy - nice to hear from an expert
    HaHa! I'm hardly an expert, just another guy like any other on here that chose to get involved.

Which brings me to my next point. The BCWF is not some anonymous entity....it is a collection of members. The folks who end up sitting at the table with the ministry are not "experts", they are everyday folks like you and me that were elected from the membership. Quite often, they come directly from local rod and gun club members. Now, if you've never been to your local rod and gun club meetings, or regional BCWF meetings....from my experience a lot of times you're lucky to have a dozen people show up. These dozen people are formulating proposals to suggest to the ministry....why?.....BECAUSE THEY SHOWED UP!!!!

now, please don't interpret my post above as me being pissed with those gentlemen who sat across the table from me, they had my utmost respect for the simple reason that they were willing to take it upon themselves to GET INVOLVED!!! which is something 97% of hunters in this province do not do. Was I disapointed they didn't share the same vision or objectives that I did...sure....but I don't believe it was malicious. While I believe it may have been misguided or short sighted, I do believe they felt they were doing what they thought was best.

So, given that the BCWF is "the" most recognized "voice of the resident hunter" by our gov't.....if you want to effect change, and are not happy with the direction it is taking.....I strongly urge you to GET INVOLVED. If enough like minded individuals from just the HBC membership started to go to their local BCWF meetings, and standing for positions, you could quite rapidly change the direction of the BCWF. I can't stress this enough.... the BCWF is a collection of members, and any member who WANTS TO, gets to have a say.....BUT YOU GOTTA SHOW UP!!!

Final thing I will say for now, the BCWF does not drive changes in our seasons or opportunities. Like every other user group at the table, all they can do is make suggestions to the ministry staff. And I can tell you from experience, the only suggestions taken are those that align with what the ministry was allready going to do. Consultation with user groups is very often little more than window dressing.

JMO
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson