Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Sorry Mark, but I have to agree wholeheartedly with Jim on this. Your claim that crossbows have had such vast advancements in technology over the past 20 years is preposterous. Most hunting equipment has, guns, optics, range finders, game cams, camouflage, COMPOUND BOWS... When I see videos of people like Cameron Hanes shooting tight 5 shout groups at 160yds with a compound bow, I think you need to re-evaluate your stance but I am glad you came to your senses. I would like to commend Foxton for bringing this discussion to the forum and happy it gained some traction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Sorry Mark but when I find out some organization or individuals are even suggesting they may come after my hunting opportunities I am going to come back after them every bit as hard. The shame is yours and Dennis' for even contemplating such a blow against legal hunting opportunities. I have no shame in opposing actions I think are wrong. Nothing personal just "business" so to speak.
    Last edited by john.b; 11-25-2019 at 01:38 PM.

Crossbow technology has advanced very rapidly even in just the last few years. With IBO speeds of upwards of 400 fps and the ability to incorporate scopes onto the platform, modern crossbows are a far cry from just a few years ago. Kill shots of upwards of 100 yards are now very possible. This makes them distinctly more powerful and capable than any other archery technology. And just as capable as a shotgun shooting a slug.
    This is a far cry from archery as it was first incorporated into the Wildlife Act. And puts a crossbow shooter at a very distinct advantage over someone using traditional or recurve equipment or even most compound bows.
    Marsh Hawk, in the spirit of respectful dialogue, I would like to counter your assertions as I believe them to be wrong.

1st off let me say, myself and family have been involved in archery in this province for many years, competing at the highest levels. It is my experience that leads me to the following arguments to counter your assertions

1. Crossbow bolts being shorter than conventional arrows tend to be much less efficient in flight, and bleed off speed and energy faster than conventional arrows. much like a heavy high ballistic co-efficient bullet will overtake a lighter faster bullet downrange, so too, the conventional arrow will carry lethal energy/speed farther than a crossbow bolt. The crossbow will enjoy a speed/energy advantage up close, while the advantage swings to the compound bow the farther out you go.

2. we have competed in at least a dozen 3D archery national championships, some of those even allowed a crossbow category. The one I recall clearly at the moment was held in Ontario. Being interested in these arguments as I'd heard them before, I paid very close attention to the leaderboards. The scoped crossbow division's highest scores wouldn't have been top 10 in the mens open category, it would have been 7th in bowhunter unlimited (pins). I can assure you, crossbows hold no accuracy advantage over a conventional compound bow in the hands of a skilled shooter.

the only advantage a x-bow holds, is the ability to not have to draw in the presence of your quarry.

In any event, I agree with many others who have posted that this sort of proposal if realized would be an unnecessary removal of opportunity, and I'm glad you will not be moving forward with it.

Respectfully
    Chris
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Hawk View Post
    Time to put this to bed.

Being as we are all adults, I decided that it was time for us to have an adult conversation about the use of crossbows. No one can deny that crossbow technology has evolved very rapidly in the last 20 years. And is very different from most other archery technologies out there. Coupled with today’s optics, a crossbow today is far more capable than those of even 10 years ago. This regulation change has already been established in Alberta so I was not proposing anything new.

What I wanted to do here was start a conversation. Not ban anything or take away anyone’s right to hunt. Those that know me know that I’ve fought for hunter access in Delta and the Fraser Valley for most of my life.

I just find it sad that we cannot have a real conversation about something these days without everyone getting their panties in a bunch. As this shit storm has progressed, I’ve decided that I will not be proposing this resolution at the Region 2 AGM next weekend. It’s dead. Seems as though free speech and open discussion are as well.

Jim Fox (Foxton Gundogs) you of all people have been around long enough to know this is NOT how procedure is supposed to work around resolutions coming to the table. Usually what happens is that a resolution comes forward and gets discussed (both for and against) and then it gets voted on. This shouldn’t be happening in the court of social media as it quickly becomes a circus. Shame on you for the way you’ve handled this Jim.

I’m out.
    Thanks for clarifying this. The way this thread was presented was unnecessarily dramatic.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

guest Guest

Great post Willy above.

Quote Originally Posted by Keta1969 View Post
    This is not a BCWF resolution . This is one member of region 2 putting it forward to be voted on. If it passes at their meeting it goes on to the BCWF meeting to be voted on. The title of this thread is misleading to say the least. Bashing the BCWF is a little premature in this case. They haven't passed anything.
    Resolution or motion my statement stands. BCWF is not a hunting organization.
    " We must strive to touch the land gently and care for it as true stewards, that those who follow us and assess our record may see that our mark on the land was one of respect and love, not cruelty and disdain."

Robert B. Oetting

Proud BC Resident Hunter

I don't think hunters should be opposed to discussing technology in hunting. These conversations have always been around and should not be a taboo topic.

With regards to advancing crossbow technology, if there is to be discussion of this, there must also be the same discussion about advancing compound bow technology. The two go hand in hand, with every point about crossbows having a similar point with compound bows.

Before proceeding with a conversation like this though, there is an important question to ask- "Why do we need to have this discussion? What is the purpose of looking at this?"

The most important reason I can think of is that it's a conservation concern. If it is not a conservation concern, what other purpose do we need to look at technology for? Is it not "fair chase?" As we are okay with rifle hunting, I don't think that's the problem.

So, define the reason to discuss this technology, and then start from there. Because if there is no true valid reason to focus on this topic, all it will do is pit hunters against other hunters.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

I think this is a valuable conversation.

Can fully understand people being upset at the removal of oppirtunity, which I disagree with.

What I don't like though is the setup in BC with the very short Archery season and lack of bow only areas.

Longer Archery seasons and more bow specific zones (excluding cross bow) not to punish people who use crossbows. I have family members that use them because of both a disability and shoulder injuries. To use this to move and grow Archery.

So my proposal would to not be reduce crossbow opportunity but to add more days and more bow only areas that exclude crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    I think this is a valuable conversation.

Can fully understand people being upset at the removal of oppirtunity, which I disagree with.

What I don't like though is the setup in BC with the very short Archery season and lack of bow only areas.

Longer Archery seasons and more bow specific zones (excluding cross bow) not to punish people who use crossbows. I have family members that use them because of both a disability and shoulder injuries. To use this to move and grow Archery.

So my proposal would to not be reduce crossbow opportunity but to add more days and more bow only areas that exclude crossbow.
    Bow hunters can hunt all bow seasons and GOS too, so they have a very long season already.

What would the purpose of excluding crossbows from your "bow only" areas be?

What would the criteria be for the "bow only" zones be? Is it due to safety concerns, like near residential areas?

Does anyone else see that they would not step up for us when we needed them saying they are non partisan.. and
    Now they want to take oppritunity away? Even if it is just one guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Island Idiots View Post
    Resolution or motion my statement stands. BCWF is not a hunting organization.
    Never said it was. I view it as a conservation organization supported by many sportsmen and woman who are also hunters and fishermen.