Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Some people like to create lots of drama. The title of this thread should be "One guy wants to remove crossbows from bow season"
    Seriously, it's 2 guys spear heading this and those 2 just happen to be President and Vice President of the BCWF Region 2, this is not drama, it is an assault on all forums of hunting. Maybe it is not your preferred method of hunting but that should make no difference, yours could be next.

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    Seriously, it's 2 guys spear heading this and those 2 just happen to be President and Vice President of the BCWF Region 2, this is not drama, it is an assault on all forums of hunting. Maybe it is not your preferred method of hunting but that should make no difference, yours could be next.

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.
    Now it’s two people ?? And the top two in reg 2 !? This is going to get good .
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

The post I shared(OP) did say it was the President AND the Vice President. It was always 2 people. And as for the title of this thread if mods want to change the thread title and Ad Region 2, to it I have no problem with that I tried but it only affected my first post.
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 11-24-2019 at 03:19 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

Death of a thousand cuts. Personally I couldn't care less if someone uses a crossbow. These two that proposed this should be punted. As hunters we should all stick together or it will end.

Time to put this to bed.

Being as we are all adults, I decided that it was time for us to have an adult conversation about the use of crossbows. No one can deny that crossbow technology has evolved very rapidly in the last 20 years. And is very different from most other archery technologies out there. Coupled with today’s optics, a crossbow today is far more capable than those of even 10 years ago. This regulation change has already been established in Alberta so I was not proposing anything new.

What I wanted to do here was start a conversation. Not ban anything or take away anyone’s right to hunt. Those that know me know that I’ve fought for hunter access in Delta and the Fraser Valley for most of my life.

I just find it sad that we cannot have a real conversation about something these days without everyone getting their panties in a bunch. As this shit storm has progressed, I’ve decided that I will not be proposing this resolution at the Region 2 AGM next weekend. It’s dead. Seems as though free speech and open discussion are as well.

Jim Fox (Foxton Gundogs) you of all people have been around long enough to know this is NOT how procedure is supposed to work around resolutions coming to the table. Usually what happens is that a resolution comes forward and gets discussed (both for and against) and then it gets voted on. This shouldn’t be happening in the court of social media as it quickly becomes a circus. Shame on you for the way you’ve handled this Jim.

I’m out.
    President (and other things) Delta Ladner Rod & Gun Club
    Vice President - BC Wildlife Federation Lower Mainland Region
    Member Delta Waterfowl
    Delta Hunting Regulation Advisory Committee Member

Sorry Mark but when I find out some organization or individuals are even suggesting they may come after my hunting opportunities I am going to come back after them every bit as hard. The shame is yours and Dennis' for even contemplating such a blow against legal hunting opportunities. I have no shame in opposing actions I think are wrong. Nothing personal just "business" so to speak.
    "BORN TO HUNT"

I have to agree with Foxton 100% on this one.

This is a very slippery slope. Start talking crossbows, increased technology, then whats next??? Scoped repeating bolt action rifles.

If crossbows mean more hunter participation then we'd be foolish to even consider their ammending their use in BC. I dont give a rats ass what other states and provinces do.

Bowhunting is a great management tool, lets keep the elitism out of it and do whatever we can to put more hunters in the field during archery seasons

I dont own a crossbow, but do own a compound bow. I find the argument about technological advancements very odd. Why is it not applied to everything? I got my first compound in 2008 for a hobby, not so much for hunting. I picked up a new one this year. I can honestly say the advancements over the last decade are incredible. The new speeds, reduced weights, accuracy... i have no doubt that crossbows have advanced just as much but i find it hard to believe that they still have the same range restrictions, are not as portable, and still require extensive movement to shoulder and aim. If the FLNRO or a private enterprise has done a study and shown that harvest during archery season is unsustainable* then I may change my mind, but until I see that study I do not see a need for the ban.

*should the harvest during the first 10 days of september be unsustainable I would argue for a 5 day youth season until the 5 followed by a 10 day bow season until the 15 with a general season to follow before I would argue for a ban on a person's preferred method of harvest
    I don't shoot innocent animals... Just the ones that look guilty!

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    There are many states and provinces that don’t allow crossbows during archery season. Looks like I’ll get some flack for saying this but I know myself and many other bow hunters would have no problem at all with banning crossbows during archery season
    Cut the bullshit. You want to ban crossbows from the archery season. I say, ban compound bows from the archery season because they are the most recent innovation in archery. Crossbows have been dated back to the Zhou Dynasty five to seven centuries BCE

Those that push that agenda probably have never shot a crossbow and think that there is a distinct advantage for crossbows. There is in fact one advantage. That is on the first shot and first shot only. A regular archer has improved odds because from the time the first arrow/bolt is fired, the time it takes to ready another bolt for a crossbow, a regular archer can release three or more arrows. The only advantage a crossbow might have is the sighting arrangement and perhaps a small distance advantage and moot considering the extreme long shots attempted by the new generation hunter, be he an archer or rifleman. Kinetic energy is pretty well equal between bows and crossbows because of shaft length of bolts and arrows.

And as far as states and provinces that don’t allow crossbows during archery season. That will change as more and more archers age and find that crossbows are a viable alternative and will start to lobby the respective government wildlife agencies to include crossbows in archery season.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    There are many states and provinces that don’t allow crossbows during archery season. Looks like I’ll get some flack for saying this but I know myself and many other bow hunters would have no problem at all with banning crossbows during archery season
    Can't believe your position on this. You come off as a pure elitist. Due to age and shoulder issues, I can no longer draw a bow, but could use a crossbow. How dare you suggest limiting my ability to take part in hunting during the bow season. This elitist crap makes my blood boil.