Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    I'm not saying effecting change would be easy wild one, but often in these meetings, which are generally poorly attended, gathering a half dozen like minded individuals to join you can often sway the vote. Simple democracy....bring enough folks with you to out vote those you disagree with
    I agree and was considering that even looking into who to make a stand with but do to non hunting related reasons I decided to go back to Alberta. I was actually really disappointed when I investigated BCs hunting orgs do to people with bad blood pushing their agenda and poor overall involvement by B.C. hunters. I could have been more help with the latter

I made the call to leave BC behind so that ship has sailed with me.

Quote Originally Posted by markt308 View Post
    There are many states and provinces that don’t allow crossbows during archery season. Looks like I’ll get some flack for saying this but I know myself and many other bow hunters would have no problem at all with banning crossbows during archery season
    Why have an archery only season period. I know as a fire arm hunter I would have no problem with this.
    Oh I am sorry yes I would because banning anybody from hunting in an opening they have already been included in for decades for anything less than scientifically proven evidence that points to a negative impact on conservation is elitist and an ATTACK ON ALL HUNTERS.

We are trying to provide more accessibility to hunters not less...

This resolution had nothing to do with fair chase or conservation and therefore should never have been on the agenda because it is not in the BCWF's scope
    Every day in the bush is a day you get back from the Reaper!

VGC
    SVRGC
    BCWF

Always interesting to see the emotion that leads to assumptions while we strive to protect our corner.

Some of you might be interested in the fact that in Region 6, the BCWF clubs put forth a recommendation to remove crossbows from the archery season. While they talked about over harvest, it seemed, the truth lay in early disturbance of the population and impacting the start of GOS.

The UBBC took a firm position there was no conservation concern and until such time as we had data to render a decision, no change should occur. The regional biologist thought he was doing everyone a favour by coming down the middle and proposing an LEH as a logical solution. It doesn't take much to see that Government would like to control hunters and harvests. The UBBC stayed firm that any change, without statistical data was inconsistent with the direction and objectives 'everyone' generally has agreed to.

There are two reasons to consider inclusion or exclusion of a weapon. Conservation and Fair Chase. Conservation objectives should be based in data collection and results, while Fair Chase should start from the common ground of agreeing to the criteria to render a decision.

The Province initiated a 'Fair Chase' discussion one year ago. The UBBC ensured representation from all regions. Other participants seemed to keep the discussion singular and close and not consult with constituents. This is understandable as rumours do tend to take off in a variety of directions and just like this thread, can difficult to manage.

The "Hunting Practices" committee has completed it's year long discussion and submitted it's recommendations to the Province. These recommendations are going to be available for review asap on the public engagement site.

There is a legitimate discussion to be had over the efficiency of crossbows as they pertain to early season moose hunting. In both R6 and R4 crossbow enthusiasts take full advantage of the ability to hunt moose in the archery only Bow Only Season (BOS). From a conservation perspective, seasons that hunt a shoulder season, or when animals are more vulnerable, are targeted for short range weapons. When weapons, technology and advancements shift a hunt from a short range hunt to a mid range or long range hunt, it is intelligent and responsible to keep a vigil on the objective. It's no different than the discussion that should be omnipresent about GOS rifle hunting in the rut. We're experiencing population decline. What data is there to clarify the impact of GOS?

UNDRIP....... the end.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Well, firstly, the issue of regulations always falling way behind "new technology" is nothing new!
    Look, we have peddle assist bikes. and has been discussed many times now for a few years now on HBC, but the ministry does nothing.
    Same could be said for the Crossbow, and the fact that they have advanced/improved so much, that again, the ministry has dragged their
    feet on deciding what the limits should be for them.
    Should it have been 300 ft per second?? or what.
    They are easier to use...period and I have done both, with a bad shoulder or not.
    And yes, I believe there are some out there that see bow hunters early season as affecting their hunt at the start of rifle season.
    I can tell the difference between and opening day for everyone and an opening 10 days after another one.
    So, lets just stop there before it becomes a huge debate.
    Technology always beats out Rules, but here they wait way to long to establish them....period.

And secondly, like Willy said, you/we have to show up to these meetings.
    And yes, it is true, the 2 or 3% that complain, are the ones that "show up" and they are the ones that get heard.
    No different then our elections and some of the BS policies that get put into place.
    Who do you think runs for politics...?????
    Some in that 3%!!!!!
    Wonder why we never get heard to "reason".....

Quote Originally Posted by Foxton Gundogs View Post
    They have stated many times that the are not a hunter's organization, they are a conservation organization. So the short answer would be no. I don't believe there is one single mention of "hunter/hunters" in their "vision/mission statement"
    where and when have they said that they are not? references please

"promote the wise use.........ensure public access.........to fish and wildlife resources
    advocate for the public interest in natural resources.......provide science based solutions........support conservation education........provide advice and experience representing conservation"

speaks more to people than it does to making more wildlife or habitat

Committees include Recreation Sport Shooting, Firearms , sustainability and access , fisheries, Wildlife and Allocations to address the challenges against hunting ,

no Build More Wildlife committee

I know the Fed stands behind conservation efforts, and throws in support where it can, but I don't see them driving the bus
    Not surprising really because for the most part their hands are tied when it comes to actually performing a task on the ground by the fact the Govt wants to be the lead on the actual work front
    So Govt does a burn or a stream restoration or sheep relocation with the Fed blessing and physical support

Not trying to be obtuse here, just showing how it looks
    Last edited by boxhitch; 11-27-2019 at 11:13 PM. Reason: actually just trying to get an insider view from Deaddog :)
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Everybody needs to understand when it comes to BCWF, that they comprise of hunters for sure, but their mandate and structure is such that
    they are there to support "wildlife".
    They do their best to help hunters for sure, but definitely they have a lack of say anymore.
    At one time I think they had way more influence.
    Noe it is all about the FN when it comes to such matters and the Government (regardless of party)
    And the reason why is simple, the FN is a much bigger organization with a lot more "legal power" now.
    Pretty much leaves the BCWF in the dust, imo.

But, they know that they are not a "hunter represented" organization at all.
    They may have acted as such back in the day, and I think members have themselves in p[art to blame to "think" that BCWF was a
    hunter organization, representing them.
    Nothing wrong with BCWF acting as a representative for wildlife, it is definitely needed, just sadly they don't have the power they once had.
    But, then when we discuss the OP, and whether crossbows should be allowed, well I think now they have crossed the line from wildlife
    to what hunters should do.
    And I think this issue is just a way to "limit" what hunters can do, and I find it surprising that it is even being discussed.
    Guess it might be because Alberta has different rules and Crossbows are not allowed unless you have a medical issue.

Support the BCWF for wildlife, just like the WSS or RMEF etc.
    But time to support a "hunter organization" that operates in BC.
    I have seen thee is another group on FB now called "Hunters for BC"

In todays climate with hunting under the microscope by Antis' and the FN power play of late, it is going to be an uphill battle.
    Discussing crossbows and their use is just useless at this time.
    I have very little belief that resident hunting will overcome the issues to be honest.
    If someone doesn't step in somewhere soon, we are going to get trampled big time!

What about a cross bow and muzzle loader season?

See on the news that they found a sea lion shot with a crossbow.

Quote Originally Posted by LBM View Post
    See on the news that they found a sea lion shot with a crossbow.
    Sea lion gate was an inside job !
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER