Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh Hawk View Post
    Time to put this to bed.

Being as we are all adults, I decided that it was time for us to have an adult conversation about the use of crossbows. No one can deny that crossbow technology has evolved very rapidly in the last 20 years. And is very different from most other archery technologies out there. Coupled with today’s optics, a crossbow today is far more capable than those of even 10 years ago. This regulation change has already been established in Alberta so I was not proposing anything new.

What I wanted to do here was start a conversation. Not ban anything or take away anyone’s right to hunt. Those that know me know that I’ve fought for hunter access in Delta and the Fraser Valley for most of my life.

I just find it sad that we cannot have a real conversation about something these days without everyone getting their panties in a bunch. As this shit storm has progressed, I’ve decided that I will not be proposing this resolution at the Region 2 AGM next weekend. It’s dead. Seems as though free speech and open discussion are as well.

Jim Fox (Foxton Gundogs) you of all people have been around long enough to know this is NOT how procedure is supposed to work around resolutions coming to the table. Usually what happens is that a resolution comes forward and gets discussed (both for and against) and then it gets voted on. This shouldn’t be happening in the court of social media as it quickly becomes a circus. Shame on you for the way you’ve handled this Jim.

I’m out.
    Strange, only the people sitting at the table are able to have a civilized conversation. Even stranger that those of us who expressed an opposing opinion are not having a civilized conversation as we try to make sure the people sitting at the table have an some idea of the number of people who are not in agreement with their prejudices and why.

As far as the evolution of cross bows goes, much the same can be said about compound bows and the arrows, sights, mechanical rests and such accessories that go with them. They are new fangled contraptions that take unfair advantage in the opinions of some of of us that still hunt with recurve bow or even more primitive equipment.
    "The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

I'm glad Jim (Foxton Gundogs) brought this to everyone's attention, even if it wasn't fully correct. I didn't find Mark's (Marsh Hawk) response to be very classy in response to this, or the reaction it got here. Glad to hear top level archers chime in and confirm what I knew about it already. There is no advantage. So what if you have to move your arm and then hold 15%.... I don't think that many crossbow guys glue them to their shoulder and walk around pointing them everywhere they walk and look either.

I've heard some of the bow elitists decry the crossbow because it doesn't take as much practice. Like that's a bad thing. I bought a bow several years ago, and probably had about 5 practice sessions with it. I did it mainly to give me an excuse to get outside, and look for deer a couple weeks early. But realistically, if I'm out with my bow, it had better be a 3 yard shot. Haven't even bothered to take it out because I didn't practice lately. A lot of guys won't get the chance to practice but still be tempted to go out. Do you really want to limit guys like that and myself to something that increases our chances at wounding? I'm realistic about it, and just left it hang there, but there is a certain percentage that will go out anyway. You know what's really great for archery's image? Well I can tell you it's not the over active letter writing anti-hunting bird watcher down the street coming across wasted animals never recovered and maimed Bambis with arrows hanging out of them.

My old Darton Apache is with fiber optics is probably a mile ahead of what Fred Bear started with, but a mile behind the new bows. They handily beat mine with a more solid back wall, more ease of use, lower let off weight, and about 25% more speed. If archery purists want to keep arguing against crossbows, a lot of compound guys might find they've argued themselves right out of their own season.

Another argument is about places that don't allow crossbows. Who cares if another place has backwards laws? A lot of places have BP season also, but if you don't, give it a rest and let all types of archery gear play. Not a big fan of having about 8 different seasons and then rifle hunters get screwed over by scared off game, and no chances to get out and just enjoy it.
    Profanity and insults are a poor substitute for knowledge and logic.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    So it would make sense (to me), if they are the problem then deal with them.... don’t uck with others who aren’t. It sounds like they just don’t like it. I would also like to see the stats for proof on the so called violations and can I ask who is pushing this ? You obviously know who the person is and if we want to be vocal about it, we can.

Also, we need to stop this hunting and guns are a privilege and sport stuff. Imo.
    Don’t worry everyone will be too busy blaming bow hunters and debating the difference between bows and crossbows to see it coming. I am not saying I agree with it but just what I am hearing

Like it or not in Canada firearms and hunting are a privilege unless your FN. Would be nice if it was a right and would be nice if Canadians pushed for it. Till that legally changes it’s a privilege and a strike of the pen and your screwed

When the hunting community is getting kicked in the nuts daily with virtually nobody looking out for their interests, then wants to open an absurd discussion such as this, tells me.... someone has too much time on their hands.
    I also dont care what Alberta's views are on Crossbows.

I found this interesting . Lots of states are opening up to the crossbow.

https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/united-states-crossbow-regulations/
    Last edited by limit time; 11-25-2019 at 09:32 AM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    So, define the reason to discuss this technology, and then start from there. Because if there is no true valid reason to focus on this topic, all it will do is pit hunters against other hunters.
    Seems to happen whenever the validity of bow-only seasons comes up. Nothing divides a room faster than mentioning 'rifle vs bow'.

Someone mentioned bow seasons are used as management tool. It is not a wildlife management tool but it is a people management tool
    It is about purists and elitists
    If archery was truly being used as a wildlife management tool, we would be talking about zones not seasons, then the power and effectiveness of implements would become important
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    Seems to happen whenever the validity of bow-only seasons comes up. Nothing divides a room faster than mentioning 'rifle vs bow'.

Someone mentioned bow seasons are used as management tool. It is not a wildlife management tool but it is a people management tool
    It is about purists and elitists
    If archery was truly being used as a wildlife management tool, we would be talking about zones not seasons, then the power and effectiveness of implements would become important
    Many jurisdictions view it as a management tool because it gives the ability to give a lower impact hunting opportunity. All hunting seasons are a form of hunter management. We both know how allowable harvest is met means nothing in game management. Tons of ways to cut the pie and all the arguments regarding this is do to the fact there is a lack of respect between the hunting groups.

But arrogance will keep many closed minded hunters screaming elitist

You noticed that too......

Whonnock for 19 years, Mission for 46 years

I don’t see the difference between the improvements in crossbows, compound bows, even in hunting heads and shafts for traditional bows, or in the newer scopes for rifles. What’s next? A ban on laser scopes, or scopes that can be dialed in to specific ammunition velocity. I equate it to the government banning all vehicles with over 100 hp, or that can do the quarter mile in less than 15 seconds...or are able to go faster than 100 kph.

Why the whining?

You want to hunt with a crossbow? Do it in the regular season same as everyone else.

No one is stopping you.