Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    Bow hunters can hunt all bow seasons and GOS too, so they have a very long season already.

What would the purpose of excluding crossbows from your "bow only" areas be?

What would the criteria be for the "bow only" zones be? Is it due to safety concerns, like near residential areas?
    My whole perspective is based on growing up in Manitoba, They have a 4 week bow only season, 3 week muzzle season, then 2 weeks rifle for whitetail in the south. This setup obviously wouldn't work in BC , but what it does is your typical hunter is proficient in archery, and invests time in the sport because of the significant opportunity.

The purpose of excluding cross bow would be to stricrly grow the sport of archery (which will by proxy grow the amount of crossbow hunters)

The criteria for my the "bow only" zones in my made up world would not be safety or near residential areas as they currently are but just portions of MU's dedicated to it, you can insert whatever logic you'd like in here to select them.

Basically my opinion is that if there is a tangible benifit to using a bow, more hunters will pick them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny_29 View Post
    My whole perspective is based on growing up in Manitoba, They have a 4 week bow only season, 3 week muzzle season, then 2 weeks rifle for whitetail in the south. This setup obviously wouldn't work in BC , but what it does is your typical hunter is proficient in archery, and invests time in the sport because of the significant opportunity.

The purpose of excluding cross bow would be to stricrly grow the sport of archery (which will by proxy grow the amount of crossbow hunters)

The criteria for my the "bow only" zones in my made up world would not be safety or near residential areas as they currently are but just portions of MU's dedicated to it, you can insert whatever logic you'd like in here to select them.

Basically my opinion is that if there is a tangible benifit to using a bow, more hunters will pick them up.
    During Manitobas ML and rifle season, is it legal to use a bow?

Why is it important to increase the amount of hunters using bows in BC?
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

From info I received there maybe a push from someone that is not BCWF and has a lot more pull on regulation to remove crossbows from bow season. The reasons have nothing to do with technology or bow hunters but instead an alarming amount of infractions and safety related issues becoming too common from crossbow users during archery season

If this is correct those opposed to crossbows being removed from archery season might want to look at the slobs in the hunting community giving crossbows a bad name. This is where idiots can ruin it for the good people

The fact of the matter is; you can only harvest what is allowable, regardless of the method deployed. The archery season extends the season to give an advantage over the firearm season. There is nothing stopping the firearm hunter from entering into the archery season if he should choose to take up a bow or crossbow.
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    From info I received there maybe a push from someone that is not BCWF and has a lot more pull on regulation to remove crossbows from bow season. The reasons have nothing to do with technology or bow hunters but instead an alarming amount of infractions and safety related issues becoming too common from crossbow users during archery season

If this is correct those opposed to crossbows being removed from archery season might want to look at the slobs in the hunting community giving crossbows a bad name. This is where idiots can ruin it for the good people
    Really? So what are we talking for violations that the “slobs” are committing? Shooting from a vehicle? Driving with a cocked bow ? You’re telling me, more people with crossbows are getting fines than gun hunters ??
    OR... is this how we vilify a group so they can get rid of them ?? Funny how removing them slobs from the archery season but not the gun season Is the solution to this....
    Last edited by limit time; 11-24-2019 at 08:04 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    During Manitobas ML and rifle season, is it legal to use a bow?

Why is it important to increase the amount of hunters using bows in BC?
    Yes it is legal to use bow in all seasons in Manitoba just have to where orange though.

It is important to be growing all aspects of hunting. My personal experience of being a bow hunter, every year I go back hunting there is always another guy in bow camp that has picked it up and makes the experience that much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by limit time View Post
    Really? So what are we talking for violations that the “slobs” are committing? Shooting from a vehicle? Driving with a cocked bow ? You’re telling me, more people with crossbows are getting fines than gun hunters ??
    OR... is this how we vilify a group so they can get rid of them ?? Funny how removing them slobs from the archery season but not the gun season Is the solution to this....
    All the issues you listed and more offences. I doubt crossbow hunters are racking up more infractions but it
    sounds like it’s the assumed % of crossbow hunters breaking the rules may be the issue. I hunt with and know good crossbow hunters who may loose out over this unfortunately. Personally it’s likely the good go unnoticed and the slobs make them selves stick out in a bad way

This is not hunters, hunting org, conservation group, or special interest group bringing it forward and this is not about trying to vilify any group. This is about a problem is being seen and a trend that they want it brought to an end

This is not my idea and I don’t care if crossbows are part of archery season or not in BC. People may not like it but if hunting privileges are abused hunters can loose them because hunting is not a right in this country. This is one of the reasons passing a long good ethics in the hunting community is important because we all pay for the poor actions by idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    All the issues you listed and more offences. I doubt crossbow hunters are racking up more infractions but it
    sounds like it’s the assumed % of crossbow hunters breaking the rules may be the issue. I hunt with and know good crossbow hunters who may loose out over this unfortunately. Personally it’s likely the good go unnoticed and the slobs make them selves stick out in a bad way

This is not hunters, hunting org, conservation group, or special interest group bringing it forward and this is not about trying to vilify any group. This is about a problem is being seen and a trend that they want it brought to an end

This is not my idea and I don’t care if crossbows are part of archery season or not in BC. People may not like it but if hunting privileges are abused hunters can loose them because hunting is not a right in this country. This is one of the reasons passing a long good ethics in the hunting community is important because we all pay for the poor actions by idiots
    So it would make sense (to me), if they are the problem then deal with them.... don’t uck with others who aren’t. It sounds like they just don’t like it. I would also like to see the stats for proof on the so called violations and can I ask who is pushing this ? You obviously know who the person is and if we want to be vocal about it, we can.

Also, we need to stop this hunting and guns are a privilege and sport stuff. Imo.
    Last edited by limit time; 11-24-2019 at 09:30 PM.
    BLACKRIFLESMATTER

# of tags and opportunities is based off success rates. Crossbows are getting way to advanced and are effecting success rates. They either remove crossbows from archery season. Or they'll remove tags and opportunities.

They will also probably follow Alberta's regs. If you have a disability that a doctor says effects you're ability to pull a compound bow, you can use a crossbow.

If you are able body and can shoot a compound bow but chose a crossbow because it's easier to kill things and you have a higher success rate with it... maybe taking the easy road isn't the best long term.

Well.. I don't have the answer. Nor do I know what the right answer is. But I'd take everything into consideration before making a vote.

Anyways. I'm not gonna respond from here. Just food for thought.
    Last edited by Jordan f.; 11-24-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    Backcountry Hunters and Anglers BC

All the anti-crossbow folks should try carrying around a crossbow in a hunting scenario. Quite unwieldy, I sold mine. Buying a compound this spring. Either way, a modern compound is no disadvantage compared to a cross bow. The BCWF needs more members, not less. It won’t get my $$.