Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Re: BCWF to push for CROSSBOW BAN

Quote Originally Posted by Deaddog View Post
    Do you recall bcwf ever doing anything for Wildlife we hunt?
    Is that in the BCWF vision or mission statement ?
    Isn't the Fed first and foremost a hunter and angler advocacy group?
    Never say whoa in the middle of a mud hole

Quote Originally Posted by boxhitch View Post
    They have stated many times that the are not a hunter's organization, they are a conservation organization. So the short answer would be no. I don't believe there is one single mention of "hunter/hunters" in their "vision/mission statement"
    Last edited by Foxton Gundogs; 11-26-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    "BORN TO HUNT"
    Foxton's Cuervo Gold "KEELA" Oct. 2004-June 2017. Always in my blind and my heart.

https://bcwf.bc.ca/vision-mission-values/
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by willyqbc View Post
    HaHa! I'm hardly an expert, just another guy like any other on here that chose to get involved.

Which brings me to my next point. The BCWF is not some anonymous entity....it is a collection of members. The folks who end up sitting at the table with the ministry are not "experts", they are everyday folks like you and me that were elected from the membership. Quite often, they come directly from local rod and gun club members. Now, if you've never been to your local rod and gun club meetings, or regional BCWF meetings....from my experience a lot of times you're lucky to have a dozen people show up. These dozen people are formulating proposals to suggest to the ministry....why?.....BECAUSE THEY SHOWED UP!!!!

now, please don't interpret my post above as me being pissed with those gentlemen who sat across the table from me, they had my utmost respect for the simple reason that they were willing to take it upon themselves to GET INVOLVED!!! which is something 97% of hunters in this province do not do. Was I disapointed they didn't share the same vision or objectives that I did...sure....but I don't believe it was malicious. While I believe it may have been misguided or short sighted, I do believe they felt they were doing what they thought was best.

So, given that the BCWF is "the" most recognized "voice of the resident hunter" by our gov't.....if you want to effect change, and are not happy with the direction it is taking.....I strongly urge you to GET INVOLVED. If enough like minded individuals from just the HBC membership started to go to their local BCWF meetings, and standing for positions, you could quite rapidly change the direction of the BCWF. I can't stress this enough.... the BCWF is a collection of members, and any member who WANTS TO, gets to have a say.....BUT YOU GOTTA SHOW UP!!!

Final thing I will say for now, the BCWF does not drive changes in our seasons or opportunities. Like every other user group at the table, all they can do is make suggestions to the ministry staff. And I can tell you from experience, the only suggestions taken are those that align with what the ministry was allready going to do. Consultation with user groups is very often little more than window dressing.

JMO
    This^^^^
    Like John Holdstock always said...”The world is run by those that show up”. Not sure if he coined that phrase or just repeated it but it’s spot on.

But it always so much easier to do nothing and throw rocks from the outside.
    I’m baffled by how so many people are on here are so ignorant this of the process of how regulation proposals become regulations.

SSS
    You want a voice? Show up.
    https://oceola.ca/
    http://bcwf.net/index.php
    http://www.wildsheepsociety.net/

I Give my Heart to my Family....
    My Mind to my Work.......
    But My Soul Belongs to the Mountains.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    This^^^^
    Like John Holdstock always said...”The world is run by those that show up”. Not sure if he coined that phrase or just repeated it but it’s spot on.

I’m baffled by how so many people are on here are so ignorant this of the process of how regulation proposals become regulations.

SSS
    This is true....if you want a voice....show up....in person.
    That said, not all regions of this province look at the organization being discussed in this thread as the end all spokesman for hunters in this province.
    As the concept of regional wildlife roundtables continues to grow this becomes more and more apparent.
    Show up and voice your own opinion on what needs done.....some guy living at the opposite end of the province doesnt always speak right for what goes on in your backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Gateholio View Post
    The biggest opposition to crossbows in bow season have always come from bowhunters that don't like crossbows. I don't recall the BCWF ever trying to curtail their use in bow season in the past.

I am sure there are still some bowhunters would be salivating at the idea of the getting rid of crossbows.
    If that took place and bow hunters were able to have crossbows removed from bow season, I would rally every single rifle hunter possible to completely eliminate any bow seasons out of spite! This purist logic is total BS. I highly caution segregation. It reminds of when snowboarding came out and all of a sudden there were ski only mountains. Those 'salivating' bow hunters need a good slap up side the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Sheep Steve View Post
    This^^^^

SSS
    When you show up and try to be heard without being part of the “click” you can also be met with childish BS. Most want only “yes men” and not people with different views. Yes showing up is a big part but it’s more then that. It’s that simple if you are a follower but if you seek change now you are often in for a long battle or a popularity contest

This is common with all organizations not just the BCWF

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacanuck View Post
    If that took place and bow hunters were able to have crossbows removed from bow season, I would rally every single rifle hunter possible to completely eliminate any bow seasons out of spite! This purist logic is total BS. I highly caution segregation. It reminds of when snowboarding came out and all of a sudden there were ski only mountains. Those 'salivating' bow hunters need a good slap up side the head.
    You would not be attempting anything new there is a reason BC has almost no archery season compared to the rest of North America. But odds are you have no clue about the BS in BC regarding archery opportunities. I am not an anti crossbow guy and don’t care about there involvement in archery season.

But grab your pitch fork and giver

Reading this thread, I do wonder why a proposal such as this can even make it past "coffee talk" as it stinks badly of one group needing to get off their high horse they rode in on.
    It reminds me of the guy who was on CBC radio last year slagging hunters about their big guns and big scopes, then admitting he was a bow hunter....so pure.
    well guess what?.... arrows hurt.... and would rather be killed with a bullet than an arrow anyday.

I'm not saying effecting change would be easy wild one, but often in these meetings, which are generally poorly attended, gathering a half dozen like minded individuals to join you can often sway the vote. Simple democracy....bring enough folks with you to out vote those you disagree with
    "Do not go where the path may lead,
    go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson