Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Tent recommendation please

Re: Tent recommendation please

Rather Be, thats where I was coming from too as a backpack sheep hunter. As I transitioned into horse packing the wall tent looked pretty feasible, but we still backpack from where we leave the horses. A lightweight tent that can be heated was the natural choice for me.

If anyone has any other questions about this stuff feel
    free to pm and we can talk on the phone, I asked some questions on AO about stoves and had a couple of conversations with a guy that steered me from a cylinder stove that I thought I wanted, into a box stove that was a little more money but actually fit my wants better.

love to see and hear more of peoples seek outdoor set ups and reviews every bit of info helps .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

I'll definitely follow-up in a years time or so.

- I bought the redcliff with two doors and no screens. Deep down I think I would have preferred the one door with screen by the timing was off due to the sales.
    - I also bought the cimarron nest so that I can still camp with my family in the redcliff but you do lose some space. The half nest was tempting, but if I am camping with the boys we'll be going floorless and with my family I know my wife will prefer that were are all in the same nest.
    - I bought two half liners that I will bring hunting as my friends who also have a kifaru tipi talk about the condensation issue. They insisted on the liners and I will likely set up the tent so it is tight to the ground which makes the condensation worse.
    - there was a really good sale on a North face 4 person tent footprint that weights next to nothing. the dimensions are close to the rectangular dimension of the redcliff so if it is wet we'll have a clean spot inside the tent.
    - I went with the carbon pole as I want my trekking poles to pack animals out with and a branch has too many little nubbin's just waiting to tear a hole in something.
    I think with this I have a great family tent as well as a perfect tent to hunt with friends out of. If I hunted solo, the cimarron would have been a castle and I most likely would've just gone with a simple tent. Cimarron was tempting for the cost savings, but I want comfort if there are two/three of us, and the Redcliff will give me that.

I'm excited to get further away from the roads next year and hunt hard with the buds.

sounds like condensation is a issue you are always going to have some with any tent weather pending . im sure its not something im going to cry over . better air flow solutions such as you mentioned , dont insulate with snow all the way around . thats funny because i would have done that first thing . pile snow up all around to keep heat in . lol . i would probly get the carbon pole . just so you have it and dont have to deal with finding the right tree , could get annoying . lol.
    Last edited by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER; 12-03-2019 at 06:45 PM.
    " Never tell me the Odds "

Learning how to pitch them properly is probably the biggest hurdle. Good ventilation makes a huge difference with condensation, same as any tent.