Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 45

Thread: Tent recommendation please

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Smithers
    Posts
    346

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    You can also go with a nest or liner to make it the same as what a traditional double wall tent would be like.[/QUOTE]

    Yes but.... seek outside nest is too short for big people. At 6í4 I had mesh in my face all night. But it addressed the condensation issues.

    Itís all different trade offs.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    187

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    I think I've decided on the redcliff with two half nests.
    I'll be able to use it for myself and buddies without the nests depending on the hunt and then I can still camp with the fam.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    8

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    I’ve got two that use depending on circumstances. My first mountain tent was a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead 2 - twin vestibules, big-for-size floorspace (2 grown men aren’t stacked in this one), and stands up well to high wind. At nearly 7# for a 3.5 season tent though, was quite heavy. After using a friend’s Kifaru Megatarp (no stove) I wanted to try a tipi but couldn’t pull together the $$$ for a seek outside/kifaru hot tent. I wound up with the Black Diamond Megalight + carbon pole (about $350) which has worked well for a couple winter mountaineering trips plus a sheep hunt this summer. It’s finicky to pitch, but even when it’s not perfect it stood up fine to the rotor wash from a hovering A-Star longlining stuff out of a base camp.

    For my sheep hunt we were concerned about bugs and condensation requiring us to pitch it high (4” gap between tent and ground) - my wife made a floor with Velcro noseeum mesh on the sides to solve this issue - with the floor I’m still under 3# and could sleep 4 in a pinch. Probably not as sturdy as a Seek outside, but at the price it works for us.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    705

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I think I've decided on the redcliff with two half nests.
    I'll be able to use it for myself and buddies without the nests depending on the hunt and then I can still camp with the fam.
    Keep us posted on the Redcliff . i would love to hear about it .
    " Never tell me the Odds "

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    705

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    My Question is , For one Person what exactly do you need ? The Cimarron or the Red cliff ? the stove ? the options ? what works for one person ? what all do you really need and not need ? Do you need the door screens ? Do you need the nest ? Do you need the carbon pole ? They sure seem to be the The next best thing to a tent . ! got to love the stove !. i have a MSR Hubba Hubba and its been a great tent for spring or summer use. the fall tho , . i like my comfort !. i like having heat !. lol for a ground tarp i would just bring some poly or a tarp or some Tye veck
    Last edited by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER; 12-02-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    " Never tell me the Odds "

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern BC
    Posts
    2,371

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER View Post
    My Question is , For one Person what exactly do you need ? The Cimarron or the Red cliff ? the stove ? the options ? what works for one person ? what all do you really need and not need ? Do you need the door screens ? Do you need the nest ? Do you need the carbon pole ? They sure seem to be the The next best thing to a tent . ! got to love the stove !. i have a MSR Hubba Hubba and its been a great tent for spring or summer use. the fall tho , . i like my comfort !. i like having heat !. lol for a ground tarp i would just bring some poly or a tarp or some Tye veck
    I went with the Cimarron, but half ass regret not going with the Redliff, purely to be able to stand up. That said, space wise, the Cimarron is a LOT of space for 1 person. Could easily go smaller and still have more room than you can use.
    The stove isn’t optional to me now that I’ve used the stove a fair bit. Door screens not really needed, just extra weight. If you find bugs that bad a therma cell will kill them off really fast. I bought the nest, and set it up exactly once, in my living room the first time I set up the Cimarron. The other 30 nights or so I spent in the tent this fall I didn’t use it. The carbon pole isn’t super necessary if you don’t mind cutting down a spruce to use as a pole. For a ground tarp I used a blue 4x6 for my sleep area.


  7. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    147

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    Not to hijack the thread, but this comes at an opportune time for me as I am looking into stoves as well. I have never slept in one of those no floor tents, wall tents, etc with a stove, only ever owned backpacking tents. As I get older, the stove sounds nice, but what I am trying to understand is: What about CO2 and smoke? This is wood burning, how does one handle that? Those tents must be well ventilated, no? Doesn't that translate into heat loss/draft?

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Golden B.C.
    Posts
    705

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    Quote Originally Posted by KodiakHntr View Post
    I went with the Cimarron, but half ass regret not going with the Redliff, purely to be able to stand up. That said, space wise, the Cimarron is a LOT of space for 1 person. Could easily go smaller and still have more room than you can use.
    The stove isn’t optional to me now that I’ve used the stove a fair bit. Door screens not really needed, just extra weight. If you find bugs that bad a therma cell will kill them off really fast. I bought the nest, and set it up exactly once, in my living room the first time I set up the Cimarron. The other 30 nights or so I spent in the tent this fall I didn’t use it. The carbon pole isn’t super necessary if you don’t mind cutting down a spruce to use as a pole. For a ground tarp I used a blue 4x6 for my sleep area.
    Thanks Man , Thats what i need to know, add it all up and it becomes a Big purchase , you using the large stove ? im 6'1 225 . You figure the Redcliff is a better choice ?
    Last edited by GOLDEN TOP SNIPER; 12-03-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    " Never tell me the Odds "

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Northern BC
    Posts
    2,371

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    I am using the large box stove yep. A buddy bought the Lite Outdoors 18” cylinder stove for his TiGoat 6.5, that works pretty well too.

    As to smoke/CO2, the SO tents have a vent in the peak, that you can’t close. A good pitch to fight condensation build up has the tent an inch or more off of the ground.

    Heat loss isn’t an issue, because the only time these are warm is when you have a Fire actively burning in the stove. They aren’t designed to slowly burn all night long (we are talking about a stove that is about the size of 4 loaves of bread after all) and when they are burning it is HOT in there. They draw like you wouldn’t believe so any smoke is sucked up the pipe like nobody’s business.

    They aren’t going to keep you warm all night if you are using a summer weight +10* sleeping bag and its -25* outside. You still need to match your gear to the conditions. But what they will do is let you dry out wet gear, go to bed warm, and slip into a bag that is already heated up. And for me, the bigger plus is reaching an arm out of my bag, dropping a handful of twigs in that titanium box and then 5 minutes later being able to get up in a hot tent. Titanium holds very little heat and transfers almost all of it right through. 5 sticks the diameter of your thumb that are 10”’long will generate more heat than you can believe in that little enclosed box, and will heat a tent in minutes.

    The other aspect to consider of all this, is that a there is a fair jag of tents out there that guys already own, that can be retrofitted with a stove jack pretty easily if you have a sewing machine. If you have a tent with a big vestibule you can put one in and buy (or build, there are lots of options for do it yourself Ti stoves out there) a titanium stove to test the concept. (Keeping in mind of course the need to be able to vent properly to avoid snuffing yourself with CO2).


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Republic of Alberta
    Posts
    55

    Re: Tent recommendation please

    I have a redcliff, haven't used it yet as the guy I was gonna hunt with bailed on me. I haven't bought a stove but maybe next year. FYI Seek Outside has factory blem sales ans these tents go on sale for nice prices so that's when I bought my tent. I got bug screens in mine but no nest.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •