Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent recommendation please

Tent recommendation please

This past year I got into some really cools spots that ligistally would be a nightmare to pack out of if I was doing a day hunt. I think I'm at the point where I am ready to try a backpack style Hunt. I have buddies with camp stoves and such so I am thinking if I buy the tent and pack it then they can bring their other gear that I don't have.

My need would be a:
    - comfortable tent for two or three guys.
    - being used from Sept 1 to Oct 5th or so (not camping in snow)

I hunt in the west koots and would be setting up camp around 1800m.

So many options for tents out there it makes me dizzy so I am hoping your experiences can assist me. The teepee style intrigues me (sawtooth or seek outside) but at that point I go cross eyed with the options.

Appreciate any experiences that you can shape or recommendations that you may have.

I'm totally fine with buying used and I think that 700 range is about the most I'd want to spend and I am ok taking on some extra weight to save some cash.

Thanks everyone!

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Tent recommendation please

Having had a few different tents I currently have a hilliberg allack 2 that is of high quality and works very well. A guy on CGN currently has a kerlon 3 for sale. They are not cheap. Like Steve says buy once cry once

Seek Outside Cimarron.

Huge space for the weight. Titanium stove compatible. Floorless (this is actually a way bigger plus than a person would think if you are sharing space with someone, and they aren’t as neat as you are and they are dragging mud into the shelter)

I’ve had pretty good luck with msr for tents and their warranty has been good too. I cracked one pole and they replaced it no questions asked. I have the hubba hubba two man and an elixir 3. The elixir is too heavy for mountain hunting, but the hubba is a good option. They seem to hold up to any rain and wind you can throw at them. I’ve had them out during a tornado warning in Alberta with no problems.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.

The Hubba Hubba is a good tent, when my original one finally gave up on being weather proof I replaced it with their latest version. NX I believe.
    That was the tent that pushed me to the Seek Outside stuff actually, after one of the most miserable nights I have spent outside. Driving rain and wind strong enough to collapse the tent right down against us and transfer the water coming in under the fly onto our sleeping bags.

Incidentally, I see on one of the gear clearing websites the Cimarron on sale today.

Thanks you all. I'll go have a look on cgn and search the tent. I am leaning towards a teepee based on the big space and simplicity.

I have an elixir 2 that I like.

I would like to try a teepee and stove though.
    The only thing I like as much as trucks, is guns.

Love my Tipi and stove. Will never go back to cold tenting.

A question for u guys running stoves. I don’t know what a whole setup weighs for a 2-3 man tent with stove and pipe, but are you packing them into the alpine or is it more of a pack in on some flats and hunt from there? I just couldn’t imagine packing in the extra gear unless it was really cold.
    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.