Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tent recommendation please

Re: Tent recommendation please

Iv only got experience with one tent, the hubba hubba nx. It was a great tent until this season (season 4), the fly is no longer, no matter where I try tightening, is tears, and when it starts, it won’t stop without gentle fingers and T tape. I always store my gear properly, dried out after each hunt (or day if I can), can’t say I’m super impressed with only getting 4 seasons out of it, but in my mind, it’s a mid level tent, so I suppose it is what it is.

this season, I had added the gear shed to it for my backpack hunts, it was a great add on for not a lot of weight, if I was to go the hh nx route again, it would definitely have the gear shed.

Like all gear tho, if you plan on using it, a lot, but once and cry once, my next tent will be a hilliberg

Quote Originally Posted by Bustercluck View Post
    A question for u guys running stoves. I don’t know what a whole setup weighs for a 2-3 man tent with stove and pipe, but are you packing them into the alpine or is it more of a pack in on some flats and hunt from there? I just couldn’t imagine packing in the extra gear unless it was really cold.
    It is kind of hard for anyone to really understand until they experience it, but a shelter and stove is truly a game changer. Being able to dry out your gear when way up high is a life changing experience. It allows you to hunt harder, and stay longer. As a sheep hunter putting on cold wet gear and cold wet boots is always a morale killer. Being snowed or rained or fogged in was, while part of the overall experience, something to be endured, not comfortable.

If there are two guys, adding 2 lbs (or less) for a stove really isn’t a deal breaker. Being able to pack a lighter sleeping bag or less clothing more than offsets the weight difference. If you are each carrying an ultralight tent so you have enough space to be able to get comfortable its really a moot point. If you are solo there are a ton of options out there that will get you into a shelter system that is almost as light (if not on par) with the lightest backpacking tents.

A quick perusal of SO site says that an ultralight Cimarron (a palace for 2 guys, and definitely not the lightest shelter they make) would be under 3 1/2 lbs for shelter and Cub stove.... which makes it on par with a Hubba Hubba NX. If a guy is ok with the footprint/space available in the Hubba then there are shelters out there that are stronger and shed wind and rain way better than the Hubba that would come in at under half the weight
    of the Hubba.
    Last edited by KodiakHntr; 11-24-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Thanks for the link. Seems like they have a decent tipi option too.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the floor less set up.
    Seems like I'm seeing mice all over the mtn and the last thing I want them in is my sleeping area and around my food.now I've never tented at 1800m so does that thin out the rodent issue?

Also with floor less, I guess it's best to setup over dirt vs grass for moisture reasons?

I like the height and simplicity of the tipi/pyramid tents.

Seems like cimarron and sawtooth are the most popular. Found the lux system but it seems you get what you pay for (no rip stop).

I had two different hot stove set ups. cimmaron and seek outside eight person. I sold them both and now have a hilleberg Nallo 3. I really struggled with the moisture in the tipis. Even with a floor (tyvek) there is a pile of moisture wicking up from the ground and it rains inside in the morning. Yes the warmth is nice to dry out gear and hang out in the evening. My concept now is to have a really dry tent, find timber, and build a big fire. The hilleberg at about five pounds is totally weather proof. I also had a campsite on a lake where I could not keep the tipi standing due to high winds and soft ground meant no place to hold stakes.

I think the tipis are a niche thing and can work but be prepared to manage moisture. That might mean a sleeping bag with water repellent shell or other ways to cope.

My dream was a tent like the Hilleberg with an extended vestibule and put in a titanium stove. Might weigh seven or eight pounds total but would cover off any nasty weather. So far I’ve not found that unicorn.
    Last edited by Cordillera; 11-24-2019 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Cordillera View Post
    I had two different hot stove set ups. cimmaron and seek outside eight person. I sold them both and now have a hilleberg Nallo 3. I really struggled with the moisture in the tipis. Even with a floor (tyvek) there is a pile of moisture wicking up from the ground and it rains inside in the morning. Yes the warmth is nice to dry out gear and hang out in the evening. My concept now is to have a really dry tent, find timber, and build a big fire. The hilleberg at about five pounds is totally weather proof. I also had a campsite on a lake where I could not keep the tipi standing due to high winds and soft ground meant no place to hold stakes.

I think the tipis are a niche thing and can work but be prepared to manage moisture. That might mean a sleeping bag with water repellent shell or other ways to cope.

My dream was a tent like the Hilleberg with an extended vestibule and put in a titanium stove. Might weigh seven or eight pounds total but would cover off any nasty weather. So far I’ve not found that unicorn.
    From all my digging it seems you should really go big with a floorless and part of that is due to the moisture. With the extra space then you can distance yourself from the tent.

I think I'd be using this in early season (Sept 1 to Sept 30) so maybe condensation won't be as bad.

I also have my old tent fly from the old family tent. Bad idea to lay a tent fly down on the ground?

Condensation really comes down to how you pitch the shelter, good ventilation makes a huge difference.

You can also go with a nest or liner to make it the same as what a traditional double wall tent would be like.

Anything Hilleberg is worth the money IMO. Good sh*t ain't cheap and cheap sh*t ain't good.
    Is Justin Competent, or just incompetent?

Quote Originally Posted by albravo2 View Post
    Anything Hilleberg is worth the money IMO. Good sh*t ain't cheap and cheap sh*t ain't good.
    I just can't bring myself to pay huge money for more of a standard tent. I'd rather save 500 dollars and pack an extra 2lbs...

Am I wrong though? What does hillrberg give you over an msr or similar tent?

Quote Originally Posted by dapesche View Post
    I just can't bring myself to pay huge money for more of a standard tent. I'd rather save 500 dollars and pack an extra 2lbs...

Am I wrong though? What does hillrberg give you over an msr or similar tent?
    Me and my hunting partner have the seek outside Cimarron tent with the light outdoors titanium stove it works great but we do once in awhile have the condensation issues. Like mentioned earlier mysleeping bag does have the waterproof outside membrane to keep me dry