Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s do a euro mount .

Re: Let’s do a euro mount .

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post

img hosting

My last few I've done. One on the far wall was done by a taxidermist who ruined it. Too bad as it is my biggest buck ever but does not look like because of they its mounted. Big waste of 500 bucks before I knew better....
    These look fantastic great job . The skull hookers look sweet as well.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Quote Originally Posted by dougan View Post
    These look fantastic great job . The skull hookers look sweet as well.
    I like the skull hookers as you can set them to whatever angle you want. Fairly pricey at 50 bucks a pop. Guess a guy could make them if so inclined. I have 12 more 4pts and above in the basement but not euro mounted. Thought this was a difficult process until I tried it

img hosting

My last few I've done. One on the far wall was done by a taxidermist who ruined it. Too bad as it is my biggest buck ever but does not look like because of they its mounted. Big waste of 500 bucks before I knew better....
    500 bucks for that?!?! Highway robbery!

What he did is the way they chop them up in Europe, keeping only the top part of the skull, above he teeth. To me it looks stupid. Not sure why they do it that way.

Sweet buck though )!

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    500 bucks for that?!?! Highway robbery!

What he did is the way they chop them up in Europe, keeping only the top part of the skull, above he teeth. To me it looks stupid. Not sure why they do it that way.

Sweet buck though )!
    He said the nose was broke and it fell apart during the boil. I suspect it was overboiled and things fell apart. The nose was fine

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzybiscuit View Post
    I do my pressure washing at the local car wash. Best $5 I ever spent...lol.

Instead of dish soap I also use 100 Mule Team Borax. But don’t pour the leftovers out on the lawn afterwards. 3 years since I poured the last batch out and grass still won’t grow there!
    Yes the War Department is still pissed at me for killing the lawn this way... and I've dug it out, put in fresh soil, and replanted... still won't grow!

Love the paper towel trick! Gotta try that next time!
    Last edited by The Hermit; 11-22-2019 at 03:10 PM.
    "When you judge another you don't define them, you define yourself."

My war department does not cut, fertilize or water the lawn so has zero say in how it is managed
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

He said the nose was broke and it fell apart during the boil. I suspect it was overboiled and things fell apart. The nose was fine
    X2 on overboiled. Either that, or he dropped it and the bone snapped so he did what he could to save it.

Still overcharged you for sure. Live and learn I guess.

Still a nice buck regardless

Good stuff dougan this thread will help a lot of folks me thinks..
    its gonna take a life time to hunt and fish all this

I love euro mounts so this thread is awesome. A couple ideas.

First moose tend to be flat antlers so the water doesn’t always cover the skull. If that happens use a terry towel across the top of the skull that wicks the water up from the pot. Make sure to put a tarp over the top so the top of the skull stays warm.

It takes longer and smells very sweet but you can “mascerate” the material off instead of boiling. Boiling tends to wreck the fine nasal bones (which are really cool). Masceration requires a water temperature of about 85 degrees for a few weeks. Search “tank heater” on amazon and you’ll find a heater that keeps the right temperature. But make sure you keep your skull away from people as it gets really ripe.

A moose skull needs a pile of hydrogen peroxide. You can buy greenhouse strength hydrogen peroxide on amazon. I think it’s closer to 30 percent.

And finally for a decent moose it’s hard to find a pot big enough. Some people use a big plastic tote (with the lower temperature masceration method). Cheaper solution is a 45 gallon drum cut down to about 18 inches depth.

Go euro!
    Last edited by Cordillera; 11-22-2019 at 08:00 PM.

during an attempt to boil out a bear skull, the skull got really soft and teeth started to fall out. that was after a couple hours. i stopped then because i didn't want to ruin it. any ideas on what happened? too much of a rolling boil? too long in the pot?