Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s do a euro mount .

Re: Let’s do a euro mount .

Great post and look forward to the finished product.
    If you can pack it in, You can pack it out !!!

UNITED WE STAND, DIVIDED WE FALL !!!

BCWF
    WSSBC
    CCFR
    " The secret of change is to focus all your energy, not on fighting the old, but building on the new"
    Socrates.

guest Guest

Terrific thread. Way to go on the DIY Euro mount step x step.

Well done dougan. Good share.
    Last edited by guest; 11-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.

Great thread, I have only done it once with a friend but we boiled it in the peroxide, after an hour for that last step, it was done..

Nice job, did almost the same thing for my son's (Dirtymax) first head, easy to do, a great time to kill a few brew's, shoot the empties with pellet gun while it simmered. He hung it on the wall, now his dog just tilt's his head sideways when he looks at it.

I used peroxide from a hair salon. More than 3% and a lot more than $5. I think it was like $30

Someone suggested I mix it with baby powder to make a paste then apply.

It was a terrible idea. The paste is incredibly difficult to make as the two do not mix well. And also it didnt work very well at all.

I love the paper towel trick. I will try that next time I do it.

The last buck I just paid to have done because I couldn't be bothered to make a mess again pressure washing all the boiled meat off the inside of the skull.

Nice result and thanks for posting. Looks like you've got the technique nailed down. I tried the boiling method, but found it difficult to get all the little bits of organic matter out of all the nooks and crannies. Seemed like it was going to take hours. Anyway, I ended up wrapping the antlers with heavy tin foil and buried the skull in the ground up to the antler bases. Can't remember how long I left it buried, but maybe a month or two or three. Bugs of some kind got rid of every spec of organic matter. Not saying this is a better method, just another option. If you are in a hurry to get it done, then this method won't be for you. Went right to the peroxide step after digging it up and it turned out pretty well. I got some 40 vol. 12% peroxide from the guy that cuts my hair. He suggested that I mix it with a powder that he also gave me to enhance the effectiveness of the peroxide (Light Master lightener).

Where do you live? I"m not sure what you had in the ground that did the job, but i know people that tried and it came out pretty gross. A buddy also lost a bear skull when a coyote or something else dug it up and took it away.

Quote Originally Posted by twoSevenO View Post
    Where do you live? I"m not sure what you had in the ground that did the job, but i know people that tried and it came out pretty gross. A buddy also lost a bear skull when a coyote or something else dug it up and took it away.
    I live in Victoria...no coyotes or bears around here. I guess you could try and protect it with some kind of structure or garbage can. If you live in the Interior or up north and get a nice buck near the end of November, and the ground is frozen, you may have to break out the boiling pot.

Great informative job Dougan.I will try the paper towel trick when I hopefully get my buck this weekend.

I use the 3% peroxide from Wal Mart, as I prefer, as do my clients, skulls that are not absolutely bright white. I feel they look to much like "plastic".. If is use the 3% I can make them off white and all of the little seams in the bone plates are a bit darker. Gives it more of an old skool barn hang euro vs plastique
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main