Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Let’s do a euro mount .

Re: Let’s do a euro mount .

As far as I know it's common to have to glue some teeth back in

Quote Originally Posted by slowjo View Post
    during an attempt to boil out a bear skull, the skull got really soft and teeth started to fall out. that was after a couple hours. i stopped then because i didn't want to ruin it. any ideas on what happened? too much of a rolling boil? too long in the pot?
    Yes for sure . Either to long in the pot and/or to hot . Being a bear skull and depending on how big your pot was i eould assume it was sitting on the bottom of the pot more near the direct flame of the burner .
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Great write up dougan !
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus View Post
    He said the nose was broke and it fell apart during the boil. I suspect it was overboiled and things fell apart. The nose was fine

This is a cop out! The nose can easily be glued back in place and when done right you can't tell the difference!

Dougan. I have 2 moose racks that are about 15 years old they have a portion of the scull holding the both sides of the rack togeather . Both racks basically have just a portion of the forehead holding both sides of each rack togeather .Could I shape the skull with a Dremel then whiten the skull with peroxide ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Dougan. I have 2 moose racks that are about 15 years old they have a portion of the scull holding the both sides of the rack togeather . Both racks basically have just a portion of the forehead holding both sides of each rack togeather .Could I shape the skull with a Dremel then whiten the skull with peroxide ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Wish I could answer your question . Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with what you are wanting to try. I’d say give it a try worst case it doesn’t work .good luck.
    wonder what’s over the next hill?

Well I unwrapped my little project and all in all I’m happy with the results. Note it will whiten up a bit more as it dries .Only cost me about 7$ for two bottles of 3% peroxide, a little elbow grease and a box of beer but can’t count that. There are better methods I’m sure but thanks for letting me share mine. Good luck the rest of the season to all of you and hope this helps a bit with your next project.

wonder what’s over the next hill?

Nice work.. now that the season is over i been doing my side hussle.. skulls..

As of today, 1 wolf, 2 elk, 1 muley, 7 whiteys.. tomorrow is a wild boar and a bear..
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Looks great! Good work!

Doesn't take long for the wet spots to dry out and blend in when it's inside.

Great step by step. I know you will help a lot of people preserve their memories. Most think this is a difficult process but your effort to make it easy and step by step will go a long way.

Does anyone have any tricks for keeping the antlers dark ? I have heard of shoe polish on moose antlers or is it better just to keep them in natural colour and let them fadeout ? Thanks