Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Let’s do a euro mount .

Re: Let’s do a euro mount .

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
    Does anyone have any tricks for keeping the antlers dark ? I have heard of shoe polish on moose antlers or is it better just to keep them in natural colour and let them fadeout ? Thanks
    I just cleaned up a skull that I had sitting out in the weather for a few years. skull and antlers were faded and dirty. I scrubbed the crud off the antlers and peroxided the skull. To make the antlers look more natural looking I used some darker wood stain. [ black walnut tone I think ] just applying it with a small paint brush and then wiping it while still wet to blend the colors. I'm quite happy with the results.

It happens.
    “Professionalism: It’s NOT the job you DO, It’s HOW you DO the job.”
    — Anonymous

You have some nice deer there... 500 for just the 1?
    “Professionalism: It’s NOT the job you DO, It’s HOW you DO the job.”
    — Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
    Does anyone have any tricks for keeping the antlers dark ? I have heard of shoe polish on moose antlers or is it better just to keep them in natural colour and let them fadeout ? Thanks
    Linseed oil 👍

I was bored so thought I would get the plasma cutter out and make a couple hangers for my euro mounts they were just a quick job actually 17 min to make two and paint em . Better than dropping 50$ a pop.anyway was fun and turned out ok

wonder what’s over the next hill?

Looks great! The hanger turned out nicely.
    When in doubt, just pin it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Lake View Post
    Dougan. I have 2 moose racks that are about 15 years old they have a portion of the scull holding the both sides of the rack togeather . Both racks basically have just a portion of the forehead holding both sides of each rack togeather .Could I shape the skull with a Dremel then whiten the skull with peroxide ?
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Sorry Dougannot trying to derail your great thread but maybe someone with experience could reply to this question . I need to shape what is left of the skull that is holding both sides of 5he rack to getter on two sets of moose antlers . Could I use a Dremal for this if so what type of attachment or maybe a type of grinding burr on a fast rpm drill ? I wonder what attachment would be best for removing bone
    Thanks
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

I use carbide bits for finishing my mounts. Shape is dependant on what i have to finish. I use cones for hard to reach crevices, ball for holes and barrel shape for flat surfaces. Bits last forever when using on bone

All with my Dremel.. i buy them from wish.com for like 3$ for 10 (variety pack)
    "It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase" - Deep Purple

"Lord knows I'm a Voodoo chile" - SRV (RIP 8-27-90)

"Know your Land, Know your Prey" - Mantracker

http://www.youtube.com/user/welderse...e=results_main

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteady View Post
    I use carbide bits for finishing my mounts. Shape is dependant on what i have to finish. I use cones for hard to reach crevices, ball for holes and barrel shape for flat surfaces. Bits last forever when using on bone

All with my Dremel.. i buy them from wish.com for like 3$ for 10 (variety pack)
    Thanks Rocksteady !
    Arctic Lake
    Member of CCFR Would encourage you all to join today !
    Read Teddy Roosevelt “ The Man In The Arena “ !

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I just cleaned up a skull that I had sitting out in the weather for a few years. skull and antlers were faded and dirty. I scrubbed the crud off the antlers and peroxided the skull. To make the antlers look more natural looking I used some darker wood stain. [ black walnut tone I think ] just applying it with a small paint brush and then wiping it while still wet to blend the colors. I'm quite happy with the results.