Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How expensive is it to get into stick bows?

How expensive is it to get into stick bows?

I got into archery just as a recreational thing a several years ago, I had a small compund then my father gave me his compound and truth be told I never really liked compounds to begin with. I have always been interested in more traditional archery (recurve,longbow etc) and now I havent shot my bow but once in a few years and would like to get back into as a hobby and was wondering if someone could give me a ball park estimate to what Id be looking at for a half decent setup. cause I will not touch a mechanical compund bow again, I just dont like them, I dont find them fun and I have a hard time shooting it it's almost like a chore. those wood bows with no fancy pullys and sights and whatever else are just a dream too shoot though.

76Chevy

2. Site Sponsor

Bow Walker Guest

Re: How expensive is it to get into stick bows?

My choice would be three rivers archery. These guys only deal with recurves and longbows. Last summer I was fortunate enough to be out in Indiana, and went to their store. I got lost, which is hard to do in Ashley, but somehow I managed it! They got me rigged up for about $500 US. I got a takedown recurve, 6 shafts, plus all the trinkets. They were very patient with all the dumb questions I asked, and I got to try out various bows before I made my purchases. They also have catalogues both online and hard copy. Now I just need some more time to practice... Have fun in your search Chevy.
    Team Goldbond Administrative Assistant

Hey 76 , I would recomend Chek-Mate Recurve and Longbows . They are without a doubt the best value out there . Many suggest they are underpriced . New basic but a huntable bow - $475-500 , Very nice exotic woods -$600-700. There are many of these bows around as they are made in Abbotsford (soon Courtney) and are used but perfectly usable . They run $250-450 .
    The Take Down Hunter 2 would be the one to look for .
    Good luck !!
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC

thanks alot guys I'll look into the sujestions.

diggerpax is offline "Shoot 'em in the guts"

See if you can borrow a bow and shoot it a lot first- then you'll have a better idea what you like when shopping for the right bow for you. I've found that I can shoot just about any new compound- they all are somewhat similar. Some stick bows I've had difficulty with- I think they vary a little more.

Yup, unless you just want to spend lots of money, go for the Chekmate. Great price, perfect function. As Greybark says, there are lots of good used ones around. The Take-Down Hunter II is a good choice. Selway Limb quiver, a dozen arrows, shooting tab and you're probably set for under $550 new and less if you go with a used bow.

Best part, Chekmate stand by their product for life.

Bow Walker Guest

That's my next area of archery to enter.........

I'm thinking that this might be the one for me.

A Basic Checkmate Falcon Retails for $275.00, The Special , Kings Pawn, or the deluxe are $375.00. The Take downs Are $400.00 and more depending on woods , and Limbs.
    My worst day of Hunting is better than my best day at Work.

Hey BigBear , I like the Chek-Mate Falcon , However I feel there are several advantages to the Take-Down models . Most of these advantages occurr when a newby takes to archery . One is the extra mass in the riser and the extra length in the limbs make for a more stable bow . One more is a newby`s ability to draw poundage quickly increases and soon they realize that a slight increase in poundage would help them . With a Take-Down ,Chek-Mate will take their limbs back in a generous trade up . The Falcon is a one piece bow and some like that simplicity and lesser price .
    The Falcon is one of Chek-Mates more popular bows and i consider it their fastest but the TD 2 (even better than a TD1)is a lot easier to shoot and is a blessing to a newby . I like them both but the TD2 is my go to bow .
    Last edited by greybark; 10-06-2007 at 05:10 PM.
    REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab on --

Group Memberships.

Traditional Bowhunters of BC
    Abbotsford Fish and Game Club
    BCWF
    United Bowhunters of BC