Thread: Deer Hunting MU 5-1 In November

Deer Hunting MU 5-1 In November

Hey all, this is my first new post after being a member here for some time. I have been trying to locate a decent place to hunt deer for the past couple of years and have had no success. I was planning on trying MU 5-1 this weekend for a few days, but then read on multiple forums on here that the deer migrate out of that area by early October. I am at a loss with already haven put in for the time off work. I do love just being outdoors, so it's never a wasted trip, but for the cost of fuel, food, lodging, etc, I'd like to to at least know I'm in an area that can produce. MU 5-1 is 5 hours from my home in Coquitlam. I am willing to travel if I now I'm heading to a good area. I have no problem just "getting out there and learning", but I'd like to get a little closer to success through some good input if possible. Thanks in advance.

PS: I just want to put some venison in the freezer. I'm not a trophy hunter and I don't mind wether it's a mule deer or white tale.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Deer Hunting MU 5-1 In November

I think guys will say to head to the banks of the river [ fraser ] I haven't been near there at this time of the year but from trips to the gang ranch area in earlier october the deer seem to be on the move to the river banks .

Quote Originally Posted by srthomas75 View Post
    I think guys will say to head to the banks of the river [ fraser ] I haven't been near there at this time of the year but from trips to the gang ranch area in earlier october the deer seem to be on the move to the river banks .
    Thanks for the tip.

Hmmmm yes deer definatly head to the Fraser river breaks for low snow levels and decent wintering conditions.
    however its winter snow conditions that dictate this yearly move..does and fawns head that way with 12..18 inches of snow..big bucks get driven out of the high country with 25 ..30 inches of snow.
    we are lacking meaningful snow so far near Williams Lake..howver highway 24 is higher in elevation and may have more snow.
    Coming out of the Caribou moutains through one small narrow valley I have seen several hundred deer funnel through there when the caribou mountains recieved 36 inches of snow over seveal days...Betty Franks showed me this area many years ago...25 ? Again the secret was sudden massive snow driving the deer through the corridor. .this valley in their migration to the wintering area...
    In 5:1 been my expeience that the eastern part was better for deer..while the western area was better for moose..the one wintering moose area usually holds 60 plus moose...personally viewed from a chopper many many times...easy to spot even at cruising speeds lol.
    At this time of year anywhere along the Fraser River from Clinton to Quesnel will be holding deer in ever increasing numbers so that by spring this wintering ground will hold thousands and thousands of deer waiting for melt that will send them back to all points east as far as the Cunningham pass.
    I do not pass along specifics of travel corridors or wintering grounds as some have special status to shoot unlimited game for familly, friends, for sale....and the animals use these routes..these wintering areas every year making them exceptionally vulnerable to slaughter.
    if the snow levels in 5 ..1 are low...deer may well still be found...if snow levels are above acceptable levels this pushes the deer out and towards wintering grounds for easier survival
    Good luck
    Srupp

Hmmm along highway 24..Sheridan lake resort is staying open this winter for ice fisherman, hunters..they have cabins for rent.nothing fancy but warm and clean...an idea for these late hunts.campers, trailers can be brutal this time of year..and the condensation from warm breath plus moisture from propane heat can never be good for campers, travel trailers longevity .
    Hunting partner is here from Duncan chasing mule deer in the AM.
    Whitetails are very spread out and in very selective pockets ...the migrations I mentioned are mule deer.
    Pm me with phone number for info on why..how..and that will help somewhat with where..
    Cheers
    Good luck
    Srupp

srupp your to generous..

mule deer are now late in rut and extra foolish..

op go cover some ground untell you see deer than hunt them..

Haha...yep they all are gone.. I've read this on here so many times that they migrate out. Most of the 4pts I've shot in 5-1 was between the 21st and the 30th. Depends on a few factors...snow level which right now there is basically nothing...temps which are warmer this year...and most importantly does in heat. You find some does and you will find a buck. I will say by the end of the second week of december things get sparse out there

Whitetail are tough to find in that area.

I have been hunting 5-1 for many years. I can tell you with certainty that deer migrate out of the hwy 24 corridor. This doesnt mean that there are no deer as some of them dont migrate at all. I occasionally see them mid winter and the whitetail never really leave. Think about it like a deer though, if walking for a couple days is going to make the rest of the winter easier then wouldn't you do it? I will be hunting 5-1 all next week because the remaining bucks are rut drunk but by this time of year it is not a high density area.