Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rut activity

Re: Rut activity

While Hunting in Kamloops this past weekend I had a Muley Buck charge at me to 10 yards, head down grunting whole way from about 25 yards in. At about 10 yards he came out from behind a tree into the open to see my 300 pointed directly at him. Froze for a brief couple seconds, his tines were huge looked easily 18" + each. Countin tines he's. only a 2 point !! Looked like a giant tuning fork on top of his head. Hopefully find him again next year for a chance again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I hope you nail a nice one

black bear and blacktail but I learned to hunt the blacktail that everyone overlooked not the mountain deer they are still a mystery to me. I really miss blacktail to the point I am tempted to make a hunting trip to the lower mainland but then I remember I hate everything else there lol

One of my greatness attributes for hunting is I learned to hunt where others don’t. I got really good at it growing up in the lower mainland where you are trying to get away from party people, hikers, 4x4, ATV, completely trashed areas, target shooters and hunters. I have not had a person on cam or a strangers foot print near my sets in years lol
    Thanks, me too! Awesome, I'm interested in hunting the same animals - well I'm new, I'm interested in ALL game... Totally dig the style of being away from others, sounds like you are dialed in!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Was out for a scout today to see if we could fill dads last whitetail tag. Nothing moving at all. Snow with rock hard crust. Bad for hunting and deer alike. Most activity seemed to be in the thick stuff. Tromping around was a noisy waste of time. Only had a small amount of time so didn’t sit much.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Was out for a scout today to see if we could fill dads last whitetail tag.

I took my 72 year old father out this morning to try and fill his last whitetail tag. He filled it all the while as we sat 400 yards of the main road and listened to all the hunters drive by. I could list a thousand areas around Kamloops for whitetail.. not spots. Nobody walks anywhere any more. In fact I haven’t bumped into a single hunter this year in the woods and I rarely see parked rigs anymore. Which is great.
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...10#post2128110

Not to be a dick or anything but i thought he filled his last tag allready??!!

As for the rut i have the same observations as you . Deer are in the tight timber
    Last edited by Muliechaser; 11-24-2019 at 05:53 PM.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife sells all my hunting gear for what I told her I paid for it"

"Take your boy hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your boy".

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching- even when doing the wrong thing is legal.”

Was out yesterday all day, put quite a few k's on the boots...yes a lot of activity in the thick stuff, including lots of fresh rubs...was looking to be selective on my last tag with a nice mature WT buck, saw quite a few mulies, lots of rubs, was thinking the rubs were only MD rubs, unloaded my gun as I'm decending a slippery hill..so I get to the bottom of the hill and forget to load my gun..walking across a hillside and I look up, see a WT doe and another WT moving behind her - I think I bet this is a buck - sure enough it is and a real nice one to boot - I remember crap I gotta jack a shell in - I proceed to do so, but after going through the thick stuff I got a piece of that old mans beard lichen stuck right where my shell goes - so I'm trying to jack this shell in but it won't fit - I quickly take off my pack to grab my bore snake and clean my barrel meanwhile he's got his nose up her ass in hot pursuit - takes me a couple minutes to get it cleaned out and shell jacked in and pack put back together, I scamper up the hill, can't see em, spent the last couple hours of light looking for them, only see several more MD - damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Muliechaser View Post
    http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...10#post2128110

Not to be a dick or anything but i thought he filled his last tag allready??!!

As for the rut i have the same observations as you . Deer are in the tight timber
    No he still has a tag left

No he still has a tag left
    I should clarify.. my wife’s dad. I have two dads lol

MD peaked last week. Whiteys are going pretty good now saw a whitey buck today swelled right up nose down ... saw a 4 point muley yesterday with some does he was small though and not a ton of interest

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Was out yesterday all day, put quite a few k's on the boots...yes a lot of activity in the thick stuff, including lots of fresh rubs...was looking to be selective on my last tag with a nice mature WT buck, saw quite a few mulies, lots of rubs, was thinking the rubs were only MD rubs, unloaded my gun as I'm decending a slippery hill..so I get to the bottom of the hill and forget to load my gun..walking across a hillside and I look up, see a WT doe and another WT moving behind her - I think I bet this is a buck - sure enough it is and a real nice one to boot - I remember crap I gotta jack a shell in - I proceed to do so, but after going through the thick stuff I got a piece of that old mans beard lichen stuck right where my shell goes - so I'm trying to jack this shell in but it won't fit - I quickly take off my pack to grab my bore snake and clean my barrel meanwhile he's got his nose up her ass in hot pursuit - takes me a couple minutes to get it cleaned out and shell jacked in and pack put back together, I scamper up the hill, can't see em, spent the last couple hours of light looking for them, only see several more MD - damn!
    Crazy, gotta hate when that happens! I’ve still yet to see a WT buck, but I’ll be lookin this week
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    Everyone gets those moments that something stupid goes wrong

But it’s way funnier when I hear it happen to someone else lol