Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rut activity

Rut activity

So I was out scouting the other day and bumped one bigger and one smaller whitetail buck with a few does out in the wide open last place I expected for that to happen. I’m thinking it’s the lack of snow deer are not confined to the timber in these conditions. This particular spot was low on deer sign all year yet the rut showed up and so have the deer. Kinda wished I hadn’t filled that last whitetail tag. Mule deer are going strong lots of buck sightings at a distance in rough country.
    does any one else think the whitetail rut goes a week longer than the mule deer rut?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Rut activity

I think it usually starts a little later, generally for the whitetails...I witnessed while shooting a whitetail buck end of October, 2 other bucks sparing so I guess pre rut activity can start by about then?

Quote Originally Posted by HarryToolips View Post
    I think it usually starts a little later, generally for the whitetails...I witnessed while shooting a whitetail buck end of October, 2 other bucks sparing so I guess pre rut activity can start by about then?
    Yeah I’m not sure most years it seems to me the whitetail rut goes latter into the year. Or missed does come back in 28 days latter if they were missed?? Secondary rut? You wouldn’t think they’d be that far apart mule deer and whitetail. They seem to fawn about the same time. I just wonder if the whitetail bucks get wound up more than mulie bucks and maybe it takes longer to get the urge out of their system. It’s interesting that’s for sure

I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure WT rut later than MD every year. I haven’t filled my WT tags, so if you’d care to send me the gps coordinates of those bucks... I promise I’ll only take the smaller one so you can have the big guy next year...
    If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?

BHA, BCWF, CCFR, PETA, Lever Action Addict.

WT are still very much in the rut. The activity we observe as hunters vary depending on the number of does in estrus, deer density, buck vs doe ratios, and age classes. Simply put its all about competition and this is what drives the buck behaviour during the rut. This is why you can experience vary different results on rut activity and even rut tactics for hunting in different areas

The actual rut is longer then most hunters think

This is good news, getting out there early next week..
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by joshbazz View Post
    This is good news, getting out there early next week..
    Do you have a scrape line scouted out yet? Natural funnels they travel through? An area with high doe numbers that stay consistent do to low pressure?

If you want to capitalize on the rut it’s about knowing the right locations to capitalize on the bucks habits. I invest my time scouting through out the year to capitalize on the month of Nov when it comes to whitetail. This way I have a number of locations that I can switch between according to the wind/conditions and spread my hunting pressure. Hunters underestimate how their presents in an area can change whitetail behaviour

Just somethings to think about well chasing these deer.

Should be starting about now, imo….

Seems to me MD was a little slower already this past weekend then the weekend before.
    Hell of a lot more guys this past weekend, but no gunshots, compared to the weekend before where many more bucks hit the ground.

Agree also, WT tends to be a bit later, but also depends a bit by region, whether you are more north and way down south.
    Again, imo, but get out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    Do you have a scrape line scouted out yet? Natural funnels they travel through? An area with high doe numbers that stay consistent do to low pressure?

If you want to capitalize on the rut it’s about knowing the right locations to capitalize on the bucks habits. I invest my time scouting through out the year to capitalize on the month of Nov when it comes to whitetail. This way I have a number of locations that I can switch between according to the wind/conditions and spread my hunting pressure. Hunters underestimate how their presents in an area can change whitetail behaviour

Just somethings to think about well chasing these deer.
    I have a couple ideas, places where WT have been spotted, but nothing hard and concrete. It is likely that I’ll be doing a daily scouting routine.

My plan is drive to some areas where I know WT have been spotted and look for sign. If I run into bear, I have a tag for that as well. I might grab a cougar tag while I’m at it on the rare off-chance I get an encounter.

I just haven’t had the time off I wanted this season. So going to hit it after dropping my child off at school, hit the mountains/woods until afternoon, then back to school for pickup. Basically 8:30am - 1pm Mon- Thurs.

That’s all I got
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Josh

if the area you are hunting has areas with mixed timber look there. A lot of times WT will travel right where the two kinds of timber meet leaning more to the evergreen side. Mature evergreen is best as it kills a lot of the under growth making it easier to travel. In these areas WT will often put their scrapes at the base of evergreens especially if there is snow. If you can find an area that has a natural funnel through land contours or water/marsh land you are often going to find a real winner

If you can find a good area with 4+ active scrapes your onto something. Don’t get caught up on rubs on trees keep scanning for the scrapes. Best part if you find a good scrape line there will often be one there in following years too

Little something to think about