I saw a heck a lot of activity in.

Can't go due to work so give it a try

Cheers,
    Jan
    Thanks Jan!!!!
    ~
    Adult Onset Hunter
    CCFR Member

Wherever there is Animal Worship there is Human Sacrifice. That is, both symbolically and literally, a real truth of historical experience.
    — G. K. Chesterton

Re: Rut activity

Did some ice fishing at Roche area this weekend. Saw a fair amount of mule deer and a handful of whitetail in one group. A few smaller mulie bucks. The whitetail were all skin heads. Rut is winding down I’d say

Just a quick question. I went out for one last hurrah on the season this morning, sat dec 7. I was looking for a 4 pt mule but managed to bump a whitey doe with a youngster. It was in prime whitetail habitat. I was able to stop them in their tracks at 45 yards with my doe can. As hard as I tried, I couldn't grow antlers on them. The question is, If I went back tomorrow morning and sat and rattled, would that have any affect on a curious buck? Or are they not at all responsive to rattling any more? Kamloops location.
    Thanks

I have seen wt fawns born in July so what does that tell you mule deer rut earlier then wt deer ,,believe me i see it i am out there in the mountains for 6 months from june till late Nov ,,I see..
    Hunting Elk Is All About Finding Them ,If You Can't Find Them Keep Trying ..

Quote Originally Posted by montec assassin View Post
    Just a quick question. I went out for one last hurrah on the season this morning, sat dec 7. I was looking for a 4 pt mule but managed to bump a whitey doe with a youngster. It was in prime whitetail habitat. I was able to stop them in their tracks at 45 yards with my doe can. As hard as I tried, I couldn't grow antlers on them. The question is, If I went back tomorrow morning and sat and rattled, would that have any affect on a curious buck? Or are they not at all responsive to rattling any more? Kamloops location.
    Thanks
    My opinion is you are past the rattling stage but you may have success with a doe bleat. But it there is no buck around you have even less of a chance

Thanks
    Im local, put a lot of time out there and I’d say that you’re beyond rattling, all the big guys have rounded up their girls and any bucks that still have the energy to breed are going to be looking for lone females going back into estrus and not a fight. But, anywhere. Anytime.

Thanks
    Absolutely!
    I rattle in deer from Sept. through March.
    Rattling can work anytime bucks are in hard antler.
    The key is How you rattle.... subdued before the pre-rut, Gentle and/or Real hard early rut to early post rut (Nov/Dec), then gently only again after that.
    Bucks will rarely have a serious battle outside of the mating season, but they will spar with each other as long has they have "hard horns".