Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF....why kill more than you can eat just because your allowed too??

Re: WTF....why kill more than you can eat just because your allowed too??

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    Lots of talk back and forth if you have tags and you fill them good for you. Being legal and sustainable are to different things. Not up to us on this forum to decide but i hope they improve the management system in this province sooner than later.
    Management is not the problem. Pine beetle was and is the problem. Extensive logging removed thermal cover opened up the terrain for long shots and access to hunters. Open terrain makes for hard crusty snow easy running for preadators. What did you think was going to happen to moose and deer with that kind of timber harvests. Populations will rebound as new plantations fill in . My moose spot is finally bouncing back but it took 25 years to do so. it’s only common sense. Habitat is the key and we wiped that out with the pine beetle and now we’re logging all the fir winter range. As long as vast sums of money are tied to timber and mineral exploration it ain’t going to change any time soon.
    professional RPF who quit the industry long ago because of politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Management is not the problem. Pine beetle was and is the problem. Extensive logging removed thermal cover opened up the terrain for long shots and access to hunters. Open terrain makes for hard crusty snow easy running for preadators. What did you think was going to happen to moose and deer with that kind of timber harvests. Populations will rebound as new plantations fill in . My moose spot is finally bouncing back but it took 25 years to do so. it’s only common sense. Habitat is the key and we wiped that out with the pine beetle and now we’re logging all the fir winter range. As long as vast sums of money are tied to timber and mineral exploration it ain’t going to change any time soon.
    professional RPF who quit the industry long ago because of politics.
    ya I agree with you about the logging and lose of winter range issue. I would think that this all should be taken into account by the people managing the wildlife in this province. If you think the logging is putting a lot of added stress on the wildlife population why would you suggest to fill as many tags as you can?

The terrible part is the people who throw it all out after a year in the freezer. I know a few who toss anything more than a year old. To the dump it goes after a year. Not even donating it to a soup kitchen.
    Why kill it if you can't finish it in the time before the next kill. Wasteful.
    Oh ya limit time there was 4 guys.
    The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money.
    The worst day slinging lead is still better than the best day working.
    Look around is there someone you can introduce to shooting because that’s the only way we will buck the anti gun trend sweeping Canada! "tigrr 2006"

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    The terrible part is the people who throw it all out after a year in the freezer. I know a few who toss anything more than a year old. To the dump it goes after a year. Not even donating it to a soup kitchen.
    I don’t have a problem with guys who use what they shoot and won’t judge how much they need but the freezer burnt and tossing out meat crowd piss me off

Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    ya I agree with you about the logging and lose of winter range issue. I would think that this all should be taken into account by the people managing the wildlife in this province. If you think the logging is putting a lot of added stress on the wildlife population why would you suggest to fill as many tags as you can?
    I say that because the habitat is coming back as well as the deer. 75 percent of logged areas are now 30 to 10 year old pine plantation. The deer love it it’s a forest again albeit a smaller version but good cover nonetheless. Almost impossible to hunt effectively and the game knows it. Guys that complain about no game aren’t doing their homework or even getting out of their trucks.. hunting takes one hell of a pile of work and due diligence to be successful. I think a lot of guys on this site get that and lots don’t. Each to his or her own abilities . Are numbers down, I’m sure in some areas they are but it’s not in most places.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    I don’t have a problem with guys who use what they shoot and won’t judge how much they need but the freezer burnt and tossing out meat crowd piss me off
    I won’t throw out freezer burnt meat, thaw it, trim the outer dry crust and chuck it into a stew low and slow for a few hours.

Is it not enough to go after Liberals and asian poachers and rampant native overhunting,and Quebecers? Nope , now you guys are turning on other hunters. You are like some mutant rat population that kills everything then turns on their own kind until only one rat remains.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrr View Post
    Please punch those ppl that toss the meat out after a year for me...

Winters, preds, logging and pine beetle all effect game numbers but the biggest impact is habitat loss, especially on winter range, usually from human development...

For the most part, I wouldn't think that regulated hunting is the issue...I usually shoot 2 deer and maybe a bear a year, my family eats every bit of it...

Quote Originally Posted by quadrakid View Post
    Is it not enough to go after Liberals and asian poachers and rampant native overhunting,and Quebecers? Nope , now you guys are turning on other hunters. You are like some mutant rat population that kills everything then turns on their own kind until only one rat remains.
    Hey theses days it’s all about equality so you have to spread the hate around

Quote Originally Posted by kosser View Post
    got some meat to hold me over a few months. i eat meat 2 to 3 times a week. I'm an avid fisherman also, like to mix it up..Just saying human population isn't getting smaller its growing, game animals are losing habitat quickly, we all have it pretty good in this province with our resources its gonna change tho.
    Hold you over a few months sounds like you haven't got any meat this fall, which makes me wonder if your rant is more about others that are more successful than you, killing game "before" you can get it.
    Knowledgeable shooters agree- The 375 Ruger is the NEW KING of all 375 caliber cartridges. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!