Thread: In Quesnel and would love to learn

In Quesnel and would love to learn

Hello,
    So for my first post, I would love to find a mentor that can teach me the ways of waterfowl hunting. I'm in Quesnel, have a PAL, hunting license and a 12 gauge. I can run out any time to get my migratory bird stamp. I'm in my early 40's with lots of energy and willing to be the grunt to learn the trade and make some friends. I've been reading a bit online and self learning at the moment, however, I'm sure there are tricks that only experience will teach me. Whenever I can, I head out to the bush and throw my own pigeons.

I've been a hunter for a few years and completely understand how to act around this type of activity. Any websites that you feel are a great learning tool would be much appreciated as well.

Take care

2. Site Sponsor

Re: In Quesnel and would love to learn

Join the Quesnel Rod and Gun Club. They hold trap shoots so this could get you some experience in that sport. Not only that, it will bring you into contact with many fine people that have the same interests like you.
    As for water-fowling in the Quesnel area, it is not that great as it is in other regions. Moreover, for the little gunning for geese (and ducks), it is a short season and more or less pond jumping. A few friends and I would go over toward Riske Creek to satisfy our need for some migratory bird hunting.
    And, Welcome to HBC
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"

Thanks Jagermeister,
    I've been a part of the Quesnel Rod and Gun for 3 years now. I went over to the shotgun range just a couple of times. I was never able to make it on Sundays for the trap shoot. Besides, 90% of the time, it was just me there lol I checked out the calendar and it looks like trap is done until about May. I know a couple of people in town that run it. I'll give them a visit. Thanks for the idea!

I haven't seen too many birds go by out here, but I'll have to check out some flyway posts for my area

Most of the ducks are pretty much gone by now as the lakes will be freezing up here soon unless you wann try the dragon lake boat launch with some vodka soaked grain. you might get them then. If you really wanna try waterfowl hunting I would suggest the peace from my own experience as there are great locations and good waterfowl up there. however any other hunter has their own area of interest. IF you wanna shoot the talk I will be gladly willing to talk to you over a fishing hole this winter on dragon or ten mile.

Quote Originally Posted by pykhunter View Post
    Thanks Jagermeister,
    I've been a part of the Quesnel Rod and Gun for 3 years now. I went over to the shotgun range just a couple of times. I was never able to make it on Sundays for the trap shoot. Besides, 90% of the time, it was just me there lol I checked out the calendar and it looks like trap is done until about May. I know a couple of people in town that run it. I'll give them a visit. Thanks for the idea!

I haven't seen too many birds go by out here, but I'll have to check out some flyway posts for my area

Hi Swamp mule,

Talking about waterfowl while ice fishing sounds great! I live right behind Dragon. Yesterday there was a skim of ice on the water...hopefully it won't be too long before I can walk on it

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp mule View Post
    Most of the ducks are pretty much gone by now as the lakes will be freezing up here soon unless you wann try the dragon lake boat launch with some vodka soaked grain. you might get them then. If you really wanna try waterfowl hunting I would suggest the peace from my own experience as there are great locations and good waterfowl up there. however any other hunter has their own area of interest. IF you wanna shoot the talk I will be gladly willing to talk to you over a fishing hole this winter on dragon or ten mile.
    You're talking about the American Coot, aka, mud hen. That's about the only waterfowl that hangs at the boat launch. How do I know? I used to live in the first house going back toward town from the launch. And about the only thing that will eat mud hens are the eagles and they do catch them..
    ".....It will be far easier to limit and undo the follies of a Trudeau government than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their prime minister......​"