Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Still new at hunting

Exclamation Still new at hunting

I'm 5 years into hunting and was curious to point me in
    A direction to a good region. I still have yet to proceses a buck or doe for my freezer, I still have enjoyed learning and being out in the Bush. I've road hunted and hiked, followed tracks.

Thank you in advance for any information and help muchly appreciated.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Still new at hunting

What region are you in.

Region 2
    But willing to travel

I have nothing constructive to add other than to say I am also a new hunter with multiple seasons of tag soup under my belt. I feel your pain. Persistence pays off eventually... Hopefully

Go to spots you’ve seen sign. If you see does you might see a buck

deer like the edge that is were two different areas come together like grass meets forest or cut blocks and timber.scout those areas and look for sign such as trails and droppings.deer like ridges come in on the down wind side and glass the trees in the distance move slow and stop for breaks and glass some more one step can open up a lot sight lines.keep your scope on low power and be ready things happen when you dont expect it.

I’m not an expert but here’s my 2 cents. Generally speaking, a good portion of the hunting season is over but there’s is still time to get a deer if you’ve got time to put in. Your could focus on regions close enough to travel to which still offer good opportunity. Right now I would probably focus on WT in either region 8 or 4. Focus on winter range as the deer should be moving there. Have a plan for the animal (butcher or coolers) if you are successful. Good luck!

While a SFU student we did a lot of hunting for deer & grouse in the Birkenhead Lake, Birken, D'Arcy triangle. Also did a lot of fishing & camping in the area.
    Haven't hunted in the area for about 40 years.
    Most of our hunting nowadays is done just north of the area in the Empire, Gang, Farwell, Big Creek area.

Best time to hunt is early in the morning or late in the evening. Right after a fresh snowfall is great.
    The real productive areas have plenty of recent signs such as tracks & tree rubs & are generally close to water.
    Try to hike into the wind & on top of ridges & forget about following tracks. Be as quiet as possible!

One of our favourite areas for hunting deer in Reg.2 -see post #3

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showth...irkenhead+lake
    “People never lie so much as after a hunt, during a war or before an election.” -Otto von Bismarck
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.-Albert Einstein

Better question where have you tried?

Probably not what you want to hear but odds are the region or management unit is not the problem.

Find a place with lots of fresh tracks.
    Pay attention to wind direction.
    Get to a vantage point before first light.
    More looking, less movement.
    Hunt similarly at dusk.