Thread: Battery Life of Trailcams

Battery Life of Trailcams

Ok, another Trailcam thread (sorry).

I am looking on feedback on which trail-cams have the longest battery life. Yes yes I know it depends on battery quality, temp, etc, but........ all environmental factors being equal: Can you recommend a cam that is less of a battery hog than others?

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Battery Life of Trailcams

https://www.trailcampro.com/

That's your best bet for accurate information. They test pretty much every make/model of camera on the market under a variety of conditions. Trail cam threads tend to have a lot of poor information passed around.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Really? I looked at them briefly a while ago and they seemed to have a lot of rather generic info and over-prized cameras, often the highest I have seen anywhere. Are you saying they are legit? Let me look at them again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    Really? I looked at them briefly a while ago and they seemed to have a lot of rather generic info and over-prized cameras, often the highest I have seen anywhere. Are you saying they are legit? Let me look at them again.....
    Any camera worth testing is on that site. They have archived reviews from previous years models as well.
    "The farther one gets into the wilderness, the greater is the attraction of its lonely freedom."

Browning Strikeforce do well for me.
    The World is run by those that show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Would Rather Be Fishing View Post
    You don't need to buy from there.
    But their trail cam reviews are respected and referred to often. They do look at battery life.

I suppose it comes down to how seriously you take trail cammin.

Me, I ain't payin $100 more for a camera that has a marginally better battery life.

To be honest I run everything from a $49.99 Chinese cam to a $200 Spypoint and in my experience camming in the south western BC battery life has been about the same In all of them. I ran one in reg 8 where it got below -15 over the winter and the cam worked fine from mid October to beginning of July. That's plenty of battery life for me.

If you want to take the hobby more seriously and have the budget to cover it, then by all means get the best rated cameras and most expensive batteries.

Good luck.

I have mentioned this before but I have 2 Spypoint Solar cams. I'm happy with the features. It takes 6AA batteries. I installed 6 Energizer Lithium batteries 2 years ago and charged the internal battery with the supplied charger. I haven't charged them or changed batteries since. They go on sale fairly regularly for around $200. I have the red LED version (2 year old) but I believe they now have the black LED option.
    Tick tock, tick tock...waiting for hunting season...