Thread: Saddle hunting? .. Yay or Nay?

Saddle hunting? .. Yay or Nay?

Bumped into a hunter in the whitetail woods this weekend. Buddy was sporting one of these fancy new tree saddles. Quess it supposed to be the new "thing".

Curios if anybody one here has any input or experience with tree saddles?.

https://youtu.be/gVvWoOwX-bc

Youtube video for those that are curious.

2. Site Sponsor

Re: Saddle hunting? .. Yay or Nay?

They have been around for a long time but a lot of people don’t find them comfortable. They do have a following in the US but it’s limited. I know one guy in the US who used one often and way more guys who ditched the saddle after one season

Personally I find it hard enough to sit all day during the rut in a hang on tree stand. Last thing I want to do is be layered up hanging from a tree saddle with my long Johns bunching up and trying to pick a wedgey.

That’s my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Wild one View Post
    They have been around for a long time but a lot of people don’t find them comfortable. They do have a following in the US but it’s limited. I know one guy in the US who used one often and way more guys who ditched the saddle after one season

Personally I find it hard enough to sit all day during the rut in a hang on tree stand. Last thing I want to do is be layered up hanging from a tree saddle with my long Johns bunching up and trying to pick a wedgey.

That’s my opinion
    The wedgey factor is not to be taken lightly, haha. Yes, comfort would be my biggest skepticism.

I have 200 + hours in a tree this season and that’s in basic hang on stands if I thought a tree saddle was worthwhile I would own one

My opinion your best off with multiple hang on stands set up and a blind or two for really cold days. Hunt the locations best for the conditions. Worried about people use climbing sticks and take the bottom one home everyday. But honestly I have not had a person on cam or tracks near my set ups in years.

I don't think it's a thing and that it will ever be a thing.
    Unless you are into bungee wedgies and dying prematurely.
    Looking at what he is depending on to hold him to the tree, he is one foot in the grave.
    No prusik, nothing. Just plain rope to the tree.
    Bad idea.
    1. Human over population
    2. Government burden and overreach

Quote Originally Posted by adriaticum View Post
    I don't think it's a thing and that it will ever be a thing.
    Unless you are into bungee wedgies and dying prematurely.
    Looking at what he is depending on to hold him to the tree, he is one foot in the grave.
    No prusik, nothing. Just plain rope to the tree.
    Bad idea.
    I agree 100% ... I've been looking at videos this morning on them. After reflecting on fall arrest training I've done for work, this gear looks more like fall restraint not arrest. If you fell a couple feet and shock loaded that harness/rope I can't see it going well ...

I've considered it for some black-tail locations where I wished I was up in a tree for a better view.
    These guys' channel cover the topic well. If you're concerned about safety he's a professional arborist.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JtaEXzhlKk

After seeing this I went and got some mountaineering gear out of the attic to test it out.
    Sure enough, after a bit of practice using the double rope technique, I was 20 feet up the tree in my backyard in no time. I was surprised.
    I would have to add a comfy seat wrap to the line to release the weight off my small climbing harness which is not meant to sit in for long.

I've never hunted using tree stands but more than once I thought being in a tree would be useful.
    I'm just not motivated to carry or build a tree stand in places with difficult access.
    I think saddle hunting can have it's place, like ultralight backpack hunting. Minimal gear with great mobility.